diving in georgia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

what part of georgia? That's alot of land mass.

Ga has many quarries, caves/caverns and has a coastal region that's good for whale watching.

Ed

If you go down to st. simons island there is a place called The Dive Center, they do boat charters for offshore GA. They run a good operation, and the people are friendly. They have some good wrecks offshore GA. The Dive Center as there first dive usally tends to goto this 440' Liberty Ship. Its a great wreck, and very big, you can dive this ship once and never get to see the whole thing.. its that big.

Hey, you are in luck. Ga just happens to border SC (last time i looked). The Savannah River basin runs the SC/GA border starting at the NC state line. Lakes in the chain are Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, Strom Thurmond (formerly Clarks Hill)
The first three in the chain are popular diving sites for Divers from several states with Jocassee being the prime site. We have an area for walk-in dives that instructors and shops from several states use. We also have a couple of boat operators in the area ( myself being one) for guided dives or for trips to the "Wall" and "Chinese Junk". directions to the lake are simple.
Take I-85 North out of Atlanta and take the frist exit in SC, Hwy 11.
40 mile or so and look for the signs to Jocassee and Devils Fork State Park. On the road to the park you will see a sign for
"Off The Wall Charters". He can answer any questions you may have as well as offer air fills and trips. You can also email me if you have any other questions. I believe you can also email SAMSLIQUIDBLUE on this board and she can give you info as well.

Now back to your original question. I am told that some Atlanta shops will sometimes use Lake Lanier. Check with your local dive shops for other info.

Foothillsdiver

Hi Scuba Freek,
There are several lakes on the SC and GA line that are good for diving along with the quarries, the southern part of Ga and the coast. Take your pick and aim for the kind of diving you want and we will be glad to help you find the right kind for your personal taste.
The lakes on the state line are Jocassee, Keowee, and Hartwell. You can learm more about Jocassee and Keowee from the web site www.offthewalldiving.com I hope this will give you a foundation for the lakes. If you have any specific questions please contact me at samsliquidblue@yahoo.com
I can also give you information on the Cooper River in Charleston, SC for fossil hunting.
Look forward to meeting you out on the water soon.

is to dive behind the wheel and point south. Turn off of I-75 at exit 79 and head west. Pick a hole, and jump in.

I just happen to live a few miles away from the Savannah River in Augusta, we do a drift dive there that is awsome. I also dive at the Strom Thurmond Lake, (formerly Clark's Hill) there are a few good dive sites there. Visibility can be variable from 8-10 feet to almost none. It is worse when we get rain. The river visiblilty also can vary, most of the time though no worse than 6 to 8 feet of vis. Water temp at the river is colder than the lake, temperatures are running mid 60's to low 70's with a thermocline at the lake around 25 feet that drops into the 50's, actually will get a bit chilly there in winter. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom