Diving in ft. Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good dive operators in the Ft. lauderdale area? I know there are quite a few boats that go out of there. My wife and I just moved to Fort Myers a few months ago and I have been hearing good things about diving on the East Coast. I am hoping to get over there soon. I would prefer to dive off of 6 Packs but if I can find a boat that isn't too cramped that would work too. I will have my wife with me and she hasn't been out in 9 or 10 months so I am looking for something semi-easy and fun. Also, in case we have a choice, what are some of the better wrecks/reefs? Thanks.

The good news is that everybody here is pretty good - if there was a bad one, we'd all know about it. Even the 'cattle boats' (which most are) have the art honed down pretty well so that everybody ususally enjoys the ride - if not, talk to them about it and they'll usually treat you fairly.

I like to call Lighthouse Dive Center because they provide the tanks to most of the operators around here. They not only give you a discount on the dive but also on the tanks.

As far as "what" to dive, it's pretty much a lottery because plans change once you're on your way out the gate anyway - as soon as your sipper learns that another boat is already on the way to XYZ wreck, he or she will point to another.

It's all good, though; all "semi-easy and fun."

By the way, we occasionally all head over to your coast to dive for shark's teeth in Venice. I suspect we'll be doing that a lot this year when the weather warms up... many of us have a "need" to find our megladon fossil!

We also do a lot of group shore dives here. The best way to participate is to either watch for the announcements in this forum OR post one yourself (the the format "mm/dd shore dive at ____"; or leave the ___ off and somebody will fill it in for you in a later post).

You don't dive-kayak, do you?

krawdady:
Does anyone know of any good dive operators in the Ft. lauderdale area? ...SNIP... Also, in case we have a choice, what are some of the better wrecks/reefs? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I will follow up on your recommendations. I did go up to Venice about a month ago and went out with Florida West Scuba. I found 4 Megladon teeth but nothing over 2 1/2 inches. It was still a great time though. I already have another trip planned with them on march 26th. if I get over to your sid ein a couple of weeks I will let you know how it went. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom