Diving in Florida in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadivediva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are diving Key Largo from June 22 to June 27. What is the recommendation for wetsuits? My husband and I are drysuit divers from PNW and we have been known to dive in the snow and rain (with argon, of course!). I HATE being cold and get rather grumpy but have a 3mm full length and hood and gloves. Recommendations are greatly appreciated. We also have 2 divers coming from Arizona who are used to only tropical diving (cannot get my whimpy younger brother to come up to WA to try the cold water).

Next question: I have been doing some reading on some of the wrecks. The books say Speigel Grove and Duane are all advanced. Are the currents crazy or it is just the depths? Difficult dive? One of our divers although has an AC - likes easy diving.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

As far as wet suits that time of year water temps are going to be 75-80. Im a cold water wimp but in the summer Ive never used one there. The spiegle and dwane are very nice dives 100+ to the sand. Ive been there when its nice, little current, water like glass. Ive also been there when the current is really moving and viss very poor. I wont do them again unless conditions are very good. There are other wrecks (Benwwood bieng one), reefs,(mollasses) and patches wiich are very simple and worth checking out if the current and weather are poor.

I live in Lafayette, LA and we go into comas if the air temp gets below 50 degrees. I said that as a preface to answering your question....I DO NOT WEAR a wetsuit diving Key Largo in June. That's right. I'll be going there in June and I will pack a 3/2, which is really only 3 mils on the chest and 2 mil everywhere else. It will be just for the wreck dives for skin protection, or for a night dive. In fact, I'm thinking about picking up a 1 mil or lighter full skin for those dives. Other than that, I will be a swimsuit away from diving commando! In fact, we will be there June 16 - 21. Water temp will be 85F! That's why we go in the summer. It's like diving in a bath tub. Believe me...I will never, ever dive in water colder than 75F. That's why our winter dive trip is Cozumel, and summer is Key Largo.

About the wrecks. Yes, they are both Advanced dives with every Dive Op I know. Some might take OW divers, but if was my boat...no way. Those wrecks sit in about 120 ft of water, but you will easily hit 90 to 100 feet at the decks. Yes, the current can be so strong it can rip you right off the descent line. In fact, some ops won't dive it if they think it's too strong. And then...there are days when you could easily do a free descent and ascent because there current is so tame. You never know.

I have a suggestion if your not AOW. While it's really just a shell of a wreck, you might consider the Benwood. It's what, about 35 ft. and there are thousands of "little critters" all around the wreck. No need for AOW and no need for navigation. You just drop down, circle around the wreck for about one hour. You mentioned easy diving. Well that's the Benwood to a T.

Rather than be grumpy :), I'd suggest going with a 3mm full suit and being comfortable and warm (especially doing multiple dives per day because even at 80 degrees you're losing core temp).

The dives require AOW basically because of the lowest common denominator in the Keys is the "five tanks a year tourist diver" and requiring AOW tends to protect the operator in a situation where litigation may come into play as the depths are beyond 60'.

The currents can range from 3+ knots northbound to none to some southbound current.

I would say that if you dive the PNW mostly, then you should have no problem with any of the keys dives. The only issue that you might want to worry about is depth if you are not used to going over 100 feet.

I would also say that if you are used to cold water and drysuits then you might want to consider no wesuit at all or at least a 1mm wetsuit for protection againt fire coral, jellies, and other nasty critters. When I dive the keys in the summer, I usually just wear a pair of baggies, its nice! Wetsuits and drysuits are a hassle for me, so when I get the chance to wear none at all, I jump on it.

To add to or repeat what those others said:
The water temps should be 82-85. The Duane and Spiegel 130'+/- to the sand but the entire dive can be done without breaking 100' or even 90'. The current can be a bear or non-existent. Some or most of the ops require an advanced badge for the Spiegel, Duane, Bibb or Eagle (or a hired guide). And a couple of those ops aren't clear about that in their websites. For a great shallow wreck try the Benwood (<40'). I will be there two weeks before you. Being a wimp I'll have a 2MM shorty and use a hood for the second two dives of the day. I noticed you didn't mention the sea lice that may be there at that time.

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like my 3mm will be sufficient. Now . . . Not trying to sound stupid - sea lice? Also, on the jelly fish - we have lion's manes but we are wearing so much gear that that the worse that happens you might get somehting across the face. We just use some aloe vera and we are fine- some stinging but no too bad. How bad is the jelly fish and how often do you generally run into it?

Sea lice can cause bad itching. It varies greatly from person to person. I get it slightly, my wife worse. Some aren&#8217;t bothered at all. I expect to get a couple of bites when in Key Largo this June. Usually show up around arm/wrist, ankle/leg and neck areas where the wetsuit ends. Also under my watch and one or two random ones on my arms. Do a search here on ScubaBoard or start a new thread. BTW, odds are that it will probably be a non- or minor issue for you.I probably shouldn&#8217;t have even mentioned it but you seemed so excited about your upcoming trip that it was the least I could do.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom