Diving in Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear all, thanks so much for the recommendations. My trip will be postponed to June though. Will most probably check-out El Dorado.

Jovin-

Hi,
I plan also to go to Duain and Apo Island. First choice was staying in Dauin for 4 days (perhaps Eldorado) and then go to Apo Island to Paul´s for another 3 days, but i am now thinking about staying full time at Dauin and then have perhaps two day trips to Apo.
I am going in August, and i travel alone, so sometimes there is porblems arranging special trips and everything if there is not enough people.

For those who have been there, wich option do you think is the best?

thanks

Chromi, sounds like a good plan but the only problem is that if you are traveling alone, your daytrips to Apo Island might be dependent on the Dauin resorts having enough divers that want to go to Apo Isl. that day.

Now that beings said, the folks at Atlantis were really accommodating. I was there in early Sept (off season for them) and was probably 1 of 3 guests staying there at the time. Initially the resort manager said they only do the trip to Apo Island if they had enough divers. But then they made an exception and had the resort bangka take me out alone for a small extra fee.

Again it might vary by resorts. You might want to inquire about that. I would hate to see you go to Dauin and not be able to dive Apo Island.

Hi, Pakman

Yes, travelling alone in low season can bring that kind of problems, so I would like to avoid them. I am really interested in diving in Apo, but of course, it would be more comfortable to stay all the week in the same resort and not going all way round with my luggage, and paying extra transfers. From another posts i read that Atlantis is not very comfortable with Apo island for few people because of their big boat.

I contact El Dorado and i am waiting for their answer. They have a "non-limit diving package including especial trips Apo And Siquijor"... but i don´t know the conditions yet.

By the way,Pakman i read carefully your report from Cabilao, and i decided to go to Polaris for 5 days also. I think there will be more divers there and the boats will be more comfortable than La Estrella, and the price is not quite different.

Well La Estrella is suppose to get a proper bangka in a few months. Fortunately the excellent guides and really nice folks who run the dive shop made up for their noisemaker of a dive bangka :wink:

chromi:
Hi, Pakman

Yes, travelling alone in low season can bring that kind of problems, so I would like to avoid them. I am really interested in diving in Apo, but of course, it would be more comfortable to stay all the week in the same resort and not going all way round with my luggage, and paying extra transfers. From another posts i read that Atlantis is not very comfortable with Apo island for few people because of their big boat.

I contact El Dorado and i am waiting for their answer. They have a "non-limit diving package including especial trips Apo And Siquijor"... but i don´t know the conditions yet.

By the way,Pakman i read carefully your report from Cabilao, and i decided to go to Polaris for 5 days also. I think there will be more divers there and the boats will be more comfortable than La Estrella, and the price is not quite different.

when in august will you be in Dauin? two of us are planning to go there aug 18-21.

oops edit: we're going in june not august.

Of course. La Estrella looks a good place to stay.As i told you before your trip, two friends were there in february, and returned very happy. But I have to choose, and as a single traveller i prefer now a resort more specialized in diving, with divers around to share the boats with me.

jigo:
when in august will you be in Dauin? two of us are planning to go there aug 18-21.

Hi, Jigo,

i am afraid i will be from 22 to 31 August (although not fixed yet: that is the plan).
On the dates before i will be in Southern Leyte.

After seeing Mr. Pak's photos, we booked Polaris for next week. The boats are definitely better.

chromi:
Of course. La Estrella looks a good place to stay.As i told you before your trip, two friends were there in february, and returned very happy.

Ahh, that's right, you were the one who did comment about La Estrella. Actually looking over at the zoo at Polaris for Easter weekend (they were fully booked and looked like a factory the way they were churning out divers) I was actually happy with the laid back atmosphere at the La Estrella dive shop (well except the noisy boat.. . :D).

Anyways, have fun on your Dumaguete trip. Whether you stay on Apo or do daytrips from Dauin, you're gonna have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom