Diving in Denmark / Southern Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again! I'm going to try to learn diving dry. I'm going to see if I can pay for a bit of training beforehand, since I don't want to be struggling with it while diving a good wreck! I'll email Gulen, but it looks like they don't have availability for the ideal dates.

I would not consider a +20m wreck dive if I was not yet genuinely competent with using a drysuit. A facinating wreck is an invitation to distraction and you don't want to forget about the drysuit when you are still a relatively inexperienced drysuit diver, most esp. not at +20m.

After about 100 wetsuit dives, I pracised in the pool once before doing my first open-water drysuit dive (low-challenge environment: 6m quarry with fair vis). It took a good 5-6 quarry dives (6-13m) to feel fairly sure an uncontrolled rise was not a problem. Even after that it took another 20 dives (now trying up to 30m) to get it well ingrained in my mind that not going nose-down was important (did a couple unplanned summersaults because I dove too sharply, felt feet get floaty & had to roll to get horizontal again - very amusing to dive buddies) and generally regain the bouyancy & trim control I previously had with a wetsuit.

The drysuit discussion aside... Just got in from an AMAZING dive at Frankenwald. We had sun, around 5C in the air. Smooth waters, no current and around 40m visibility! We also spotted and eagle on the way back to the diveshop :)

So, Gulen doesn't have any availability for the dates I'll be there :( Not even close! I'm going to try to find a place either in Stavanger, or Oslo! Imla, is there good diving near Oslo? Did you do the Frankwald with Gulen or is there another way to get there? I'm thinking of taking a drysuit class while I'm in Stavanger, since that's my first stop in Norway, followed by Bergen and then Oslo.

We do have a handfull of wrecks and some other nice locations in the Oslofjord. However, if you get the opportunity to log some dives in the western part of Norway while in Stavanger, I wouldn't hesitate on doing it. If you don't mind spending a few hours behind the wheel, there are some other nice places definitely worth checking out! (Hitra, Lygnstøylsvatnet, Ålesund++, there are plenty of videos on YT)

Back
Top Bottom