Diving in Denmark / Southern Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muteki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I'm traveling through Denmark and maybe southern Norway (Bergen / Stavanger) in January and wanted to know where there are some good diving spots, wrecks in particular. I haven't been finding much info... any recommendations?

There are several good spots around Kristiansand. You can check out this site: Dive Center

Also Bergen: Diving - Activities - Coast Adventure - Bergen

Stavanger: English | STAVANGER DYKKERKLUBB

This is an active club. There are diving on several days of the week.

Also, Stavanger Dykkersenter is as good as a dive-shop can be, when only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 17:30 to 19:30. They have decent prices and good service.

Have a nice trip!

Thanks so much for the responses! I've never done drysuit / cold water diving, so this should be fun. I'm also traveling to Russia afterwards...

Most of the diving here is somewhat deep, cold and dark and if you have never done drysuit diving don't expect too much. There are some shallow wrecks and nice nature/wall dives so it should be possible.

I live in the northern part of Denmark and dive southern Norway often so if you need any help just let me know.

Thanks for the response! I'm headed to Aarhus tomorrow, then to Germany and then Norway, where I plan to dive Bergen and/or Stavanger. If you have some particular favorite sites for wrecks, please let me know. I saw a couple on Gulen's site that look good, e.g. DS Frankenvald,
.SS Fernedale & BD Parat, Oldenburg...

Hi!
I live in Norway, and have dived the west coast several times.
Gulen DiveCenter has serious quality wrecks. Ranging from Open Water to Deep f**in dark and scary.
DS Frankenwald is just about one of the best 32% dives you can do. (Or several dives... )
Fernedale/Parat is a "DoubleWreck". Parat deepest with shallowest point around 40ish, and followed by Ferndale up to about 6. The last bit of the dive is a seriously gorgeous naturedive.

I have not dived Oldenburg, but have plans to do so this weekend actually.

You will get basic accommodation, but superb diving. HOWEVER... water is COLD at this time of year. So is the air. Around 4C is to be expected. THe wrecks can be challenging and you might be in for it if you have not dived a drysuit before. THey do have divinginstructors, and they cater very well to both technical divers and rebreathers.

Hint: if you find a foreign-language website with no/limited English pages you can run the entire website address through Google translate and get a pretty good idea of what they are saying.

Been to Norway once, thought it was fabulous w/ lots of life and quite a few wrecks. Would esp. love to go to Gulen.

CHILLY! If you don't dive dry and don't have time to learn, you can do pretty well with a high-quality 5mm hooded shorty over a 7mm fullsuit. "Waterproof"-brand wetsuits (Swedish) for example are excellent for cold water diving. Wear at least boots, gloves & hood ALL at least 5mm thick. 3-finger gloves are much warmer & don't sit around in your wetsuit between dives, esp. not in a wind! Diving wet is pretty comfortable with good gear, it's the dressing/undressing and waiting btwn dives that really bites.

Just as a side-note. While you _can_ certainly dive wet in Norway also in the winter, diving at Gulen and especially the wrecks mentioned are NOT suited for wetsuitdiving in January. With the exception of Oldenburg, there is about 30-45mins rhib-trip to get to the wrecks and back again. So... Drysuit is definitively recommended!

Back
Top Bottom