Diving in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divegeek

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Curacao on Sunday . The dive op at my hotel (Breezes) is Ocean Encounters. A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with them (good or bad)?

2) Who else would you recommend diving with?

Thanks,

Ocean encounters is a Peter Hughes operation and it was wonderful to me and my group when we were down there.

The dives were great, The beaches we got to off gas on were great, I really cant say enough about them.

The guy running the operation was also a real hunk...

Julie

divegeek:
I'm heading down to Curacao on Sunday . The dive op at my hotel (Breezes) is Ocean Encounters. A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with them (good or bad)?

2) Who else would you recommend diving with?

Thanks,

I have not heard any complaints about Ocean Encounters. I did Curacao last Feb with Easy Divers..out of Sunset Waters Resort..their big boat had a nasty engine problem. They had to keep it running so that they did not have to worry about restarts. Anyway, with all the racket it made, the boat was easy to find. Regardless, you'll have some great dives!

Cheers from a Snowy Datyon

JC

divegeek:
I'll make sure to let my wife know...

you do that! If I remember right his name was Hans... Not many men like that in the world...

Julie

Jchoby:
I have not heard any complaints about Ocean Encounters. I did Curacao last Feb with Easy Divers..out of Sunset Waters Resort..their big boat had a nasty engine problem. They had to keep it running so that they did not have to worry about restarts. Anyway, with all the racket it made, the boat was easy to find. Regardless, you'll have some great dives!

Cheers from a Snowy Datyon

JC

I was at Sunset Waters in June on my honeymoon. The dive operation is under new ownership and is now called Sunset Divers. They replaced everything from the boats all the way to the weights. The only complaint I had at the time was that they did not offer nitrox but I do believe the owner, Mike, told me that too was in the works in the near future. I would dive with them again in a heart beat.

Ok, Here's the report:

I stayed at Breezes Curacao. I was intially unimpressed by the facility (some rooms could use upgrades), but I have to say that the place grew on me. Food was good. We me some real nice people (like Alex - one of the food managers) and some people working there who couldn't give a crap.

The dive operation is Ocean Encounters and they're very professional. I did two (2-tank) boat dives with them. Both trips were good, one to tugboat and directors point...the other one I don't remember, but both boat trips went to the east end of the island. The fish and other creatures seemed more abundant on east side dives. We saw a couple of HUGE green moray's and a really big lobster (hiding under a rock)...of course I didn't take my camera on THOSE dives.

Breezes offers you one tank per day, per diver for shore diving. If you want to shore dive off-site, you have to pay $11 for the first tank (and weights) and $8 for subsequent tanks. For non-divers you get one free "discover scuba" lesson.

I did one shore dive at the resort which had some strong waves (not fun). My son and I rented a jeep and drove to the following places: Porto Marie, Cas Abao, and Playa Kalke. These are all sheltered coves towards the west side of the island. Porto Marie had a great "double" reef". The other two were also very easy, relaxing dives.

In general, the reefs started out at about 20' and kept going down on a 45 degree angle. It was like an angled wall dive. It was too easy to go deep. I usually kept to a max. depth of 75', except on the first dive where my son decided to hit 100' without warning me first (and me chasing after him) (boy did that piss me off!).

I attached a few pictures. In the first one, I'm the one on the right with the goofy looking Mares X-Vision mask (love the mask...but it's real stupid looking). These are my first attempts at underwater photog. I tried to color correct them.

I'm only sorry that I didn't dive more (only 8 dives). I missed out on the night dive, and wanted to go to "mushroom forest."

I'll post another message with other picts.

I believe that is Hans in the boots and banana hammock thong in the last photo....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom