Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Occidental Grand Papagayo is where I stayed this past february. It was a fantastic resort! Diving Safaris picked me up N/C in the morning before the dives and brought me to the shop. From there, it was a 2 minute walk to the beach where we met the boat. The ride from the Resort to the dive shop was only about 5 minutes by car. Diving Safaris DOES have Nitrox available, but requires 24 hours notice. As far as the resort, all of the staff were extremely friendly and eager to please you. The food was excellent. Good snorkelling to be found at the beach.

Occidental Grand Papagayo is where I stayed this past february. It was a fantastic resort! Diving Safaris picked me up N/C in the morning before the dives and brought me to the shop. From there, it was a 2 minute walk to the beach where we met the boat. The ride from the Resort to the dive shop was only about 5 minutes by car. Diving Safaris DOES have Nitrox available, but requires 24 hours notice. As far as the resort, all of the staff were extremely friendly and eager to please you. The food was excellent. Good snorkelling to be found at the beach.

Thanks Graeme that will work perfectly for me Usually I'm better at planning my trips but I allowed my non diving spouse to plan the trip this time out.

Does the Occidental Grand Papagayo have wireless internet? Just booked our trip for October but did not ask about that.

Sub-Mariner - when you return please let us know how you liked the Occidental Grand Papagayo and how far away you had to go to get to dive ops. That is the resort that we have a package with so I would love to hear all about it.

Thanks

I just got back 1st I'l tell you about the OGP then the diving
The OGP sits on a beautiful large property the staff is really nice and that's where it ends. We showed up and they told us our room was ready when we got to the room there was NO water and the AC was not working. we spent the 1st day getting water and AC we also were supposed to get the romance package that included certain things being in the room that didn't arrive until the next day.

I thought that maybe I was being a stuck up american at first but everyday someone was at the front desk complaining about the conditions. And wouldnt you know it I come back from a dive a few days later get into the shower and what happens nothing. We also got the Ocean view room (don't pay extra for it) it is more like a treeline view because there are trees blocking your view of the ocean.

This is supposed to be a 5 star resort it is more like a 3 star. 4 restaurants 3 that you have to make reservations for. None of them are what you'd expect from a 5 star resort. We had an all inclusive package and we still went out to eat I'd recommend a place called Bambu which is a little place down the street from the OGP.

They have wireless internet there is just one problem. The property covers several acres, they have a truck that takes people around to there respective buildings. The only building with internet is the main building and if I were to guess it seemed to be connected to a 56k modem it was that slow. This means that in order to check your email you have to take your laptop up to the main building check your email then take your laptop back to your room. Which although it sounds like its not a big deal it can be a hike if you are in a building far away from the main building which of course I was.

I want to go back to Costa Rica but i would never go back to OGP again.

The Diving
I went with Bill Beards Diving Safaris. They were good I got picked up every morning and dropped off afterwards the dive shop is about 5 to 10 min from the OGP in Hermosa and the boat/beach is about a block from the shop. Price is reasonable and the service was excellent.

DO NOT go with the onsite operator I believe the name is Charlies Adventures. I spoke with another diver I met there he wanted to book some dives for himself and his wifes checkout dives. He wanted to charge the wife over $300 for her 4 checkout dives. The next day they were both on my boat where a DM took her solo for her checkout dives and he dove with me.

I know this post is long but believe me it would be longer if I told you everything that was wrong with OGP. But the diving was great

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Occidental Grand Papagayo and am relieved that I not staying there when I go to Costa Rica in two weeks. I'm staying, and diving, with Ocotol Beach Resort and will hopefully get AOW while I'm there. Did you see any bull sharks? What sites did you dive?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Occidental Grand Papagayo and am relieved that I not staying there when I go to Costa Rica in two weeks. I'm staying, and diving, with Ocotol Beach Resort and will hopefully get AOW while I'm there. Did you see any bull sharks? What sites did you dive?

Bull sharks are hit or miss. I dove at the Bat Islands on June 12th and 14th, and saw none. Another diver on the boat had been there a week or so earlier, and seen loads. The boat ride to the Bats is an hour plus. Plan a three-tank diveday when going to the Bats, because you'll want to dive at nearby Black Rock as well -- huge amount of fish there, as well as the occasional manta and squadrons of eagle rays.

Sub-Mariner thank you for diving with Diving Safaris not bill beards diving safaris as they are a travel and tour company. I would like to clarify that the other people that were on your boat doing her check out dives were with a PADI instructor not a DM, DS puts a DM on the boat for every 5 divers and are in the water with them while diving.Sorry you had a bad tme at the OGP.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel our October trip. After reading sub-mariners report I dont feel so bad now. I still want to go to Costa Rica sometime so I will continue to read this area of scuba board.

Thanks to all for your info.

are there any good options near Nosara?

Sub-Mariner, What were the water temps and Vis like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom