Diving in Costa Rica in August? (or go to Mexico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Patrick says, Playas del Coco is know for the dryer area and great diving.
There is a direct bus for $6 from San Jose to Playas del Coco. Coco is actually adapting to the backpackers and you can find hostels starting at $10 a night or $12 including a local breakfast. Super deal.
As for the diving, there are 2 tanks and 3 tanks trips available everyday and if you stay here in a hostel your budget of $800 for 5 nights will be sufficient.
There are many restaurants around at various prices, and Coco has quit a few supermarkets to fix your own food.
Happy diving.

Hello All, we are wondering what the diving is like on the NW coast of Costa Rica, the area which seems to have more predictable weather year long. We are open water w/ 100 or so dives in the caribbean, mostly bonaire, dominica and cozumel and many other windward islands. It seems (from this forum) it is mostly the BIG stuff off shore, but any other info would be greatly appreciated. We see that Bill Beard's place is offering a great deal for a weeks' diving, has anyone out there been there recently for a quality check?

Many thanks,

J and M

Ok I just found out we are not staying in San Jose anymore and we changed to Manuel Antonio which is closer to the coast.

I've been to Costa Rica several times and it's probably the best place for diving I have ever seen. Diving in Guanacaste area is spectacular and when I say this I'm referring to the marine life less to the water visibility which is around 30ft - 45ft. I've seen humpback whales, dolphins, white tip sharks, several varieties of eels, hard and soft corals, starfish, jewfish, turtles... put more info on a blog, take a look if you like: Moments, places and things: Costa Rica Diving - Gulf of Papagayo

Robert

To answer J and M:

Guanacaste is Costa Ricas driest area which makes it for me the nicest place to be especially during the green- or rainy-season with the best diving conditions. But it's of course great as well to have several months of pure sun guaranteed during the dry season...
The diving is accessible to all levels, with your experience you qualify to dive all dive sites, including the "BIG stuff off shore" :D
But there is also a good number of local dives sites ("local" means 5 to 25min away by boat) and these dive sites are just as interesting as the Cats or Bats with the same wild life in general. Only if you want to see Mantas and Bull Sharks in particular, you'll have to go to the Islands...
To give you a complete description of what to see, I'd have to write really a lot, but there is some information here:
Amazing Costa Rica - Summer Salt Dive Center
Finally, to know if you have a good deal, you need some offers to compare :wink:!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom