Diving in Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derffie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
i'm new to diving. Got OW certified years ago but never continued. I started back with the notion that I would stick with shallow, warm dives on vacations. Being from Chicago and having a daughter who lives in LA, I may have to rethink this. My OW certification took place in 60 degree water and I was pretty chilled much of the time. Is this something one just gets used to?
Thanks

No you don't get "used to it," you wear the proper thermal protection. If you are diving with your daughter here in Southern California on a regular basis you might want to consider investing in a dry suit. I bought mine used on a forum like ScubaBoard for a great price. Many people find a 7mm wetsuit or a 7mm Farmer-John with a Vest do just as well. The extra thermal protection -- hood, gloves, and the suit take a little getting used to, but not much.

Enjoy the diving,
Jerry

When I got certified, I had no intention at all of ever diving in Puget Sound, and the first dive I did here, I did in a leaking dry suit and got hypothermia.

What I've learned over the last eight years and many hundred dives in Eastern Pacific waters, is that if you invest in good exposure protection, diving here can be very comfortable. In summer water (55 degrees), I'm good for 60 or 70 minutes, and get out a little cool but not desperately looking for a heater and a cup of coffee. In winter water (45), the dives are shorter, and I'm wanting some warmup when I get out, but it's still comfortable enough to be fun.

It is not necessary to be cold to dive cold water.

Greetings Derrfie I have tried most of the options diving wet in cold water and it just becomes mute once water reaches below 50º for me.
Many active divers in our area have invested in a dry suit.
It is a investment and can be significant but what you will gain is a lot more comfortable dives, better air consumption, longer dives.
There are shops in your area that will allow you to rent a suit for a Dry suit class I believe.

There are used suits out there abut beware you are not inheriting all the issues that were not disclosed in the description.
Unless you know the individual you might want to start with a new suit.
Undergarments are huge "you get what you pay for" Fourth Element really is that good!
Good luck and if you need any suggestions for shops PM me.

CamG

Hello,
i'm new to diving. Got OW certified years ago but never continued. I started back with the notion that I would stick with shallow, warm dives on vacations. Being from Chicago and having a daughter who lives in LA, I may have to rethink this. My OW certification took place in 60 degree water and I was pretty chilled much of the time. Is this something one just gets used to?
Thanks

60F/15C is perfectly ok in a drysuit on hour long (or even longer) dives. With well fitting wetsuits temperature lower than that are tolerable or even comfortable provided you're not making many dives in one day. My guess is that you were wearing a poorly fitting wetsuit.

My "coldest" ever dive was in -2C/28F water. The only thing that kept ice from forming on the surface was the wave action. Even at that I was able to make a 35 min dive in my drysuit.

Was it like spooning with my wife under a thick layer of blankets? No.

Was it something I'd like to do every day? No.

Was diving for 35 minutes worth the drive? Yes.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom