diving in central US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm from the Atlanta area and plan to help a family member move to Minneapolis, MN the last week of May. We're gonna be driving the whole way from Atlanta to Minneapolis and was just wondering if there are maybe any good diving places along the way that we could maybe stop by & check out.

Our route is basically gonna be up through the following areas:

• Chattanooga, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Jeffersonville, KY
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Chicago, IL
  • Madison, WI
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (final destination)
Anything worth checking out along the way? We're both certified divers for about 3yrs now, but we don't have any of our own equipment so will need to rent stuff on site as well. We both have about 30 dives so while not masters or experts, not really beginners either. Just looking for something casual and fun. Any recommendations?

Hey mcf57
There are actually quite a few possible dive locations for you to try out on your way to Minneapolis. The first one is France Park near Logans Port Indiana. This is a flooded quarry. Max. depth about 40'. Air and rentals are available on site but you need to make arrangements a head of time. Contact the Divers Den as they are running the SCUBA concessions there.

The next location is Haigh Quarry in Kankakee Illinois. Great place! Air and Rentals available on site. Great staff. Lots of interesting things to look at in the quarry. Max. depth about 85'. Average depth about 40'. If you only dive one of the locations I have written about this would be the one.

Continuing north the next location is Pearl Lake in South Beloit Illinois on the Illinois/Wisconsin line. This is north of Rockford about 25 miles. Air is supplied on site but rental gear needs to be gotten from a LDS. The closest to Pearl Lake is Loves Park Scuba in Loves Park Illinois, which is half way between Rockford and South Beloit. Dan and crew will be happy to set you up with what you need.

In Wisconsin Devils Lake in Devils Lake State Park is a nice easy dive location. Unfortunately the LDS recently closed so Air and equipment will have to be gotten in Madison, WI. Diversions Scuba or Madison Scuba are both good bets. I believe there is diving in Lake Mendota (Madison) but I don't know if it is any good or what the access is like.

Farther North in Black River Falls Wisconsin is Lake Wazee. There are two dive shops nearby who can handle air and equipment rentals. I can only remember one of them, Wazee Sports Center. Lake Wazee is a flooded iron mine and is very deep. How ever there are three areas that are appropriate for recreational depth diving. I have been diving at the East entry and really enjoy "Sherwood Forest".

All of the locations I have written about can be accessed online or you can PM me and I will do my best to clarify any questions you may have.:D

Back
Top Bottom