Diving in Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymanbrac

Reaction score
My wife and I are staying at the Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac for the last ten days of February 2006. We bought the dive package but would like to just take our leisurely time on our dives and not have to exhaust ourselves by trying to keep up with the rest of the divers. I'm thinking of cancelling our dive package at the Brac Reef and going with a smaller dive operator that will let us "stop and smell the roses" (aquatically speaking of course). I read a thread on this forum several months ago that someone had used a small, private dive operator on the Brac but I can't remember the name of the dive operator that was mentioned. Anyone know of a good, small, private dive operator on Cayman Brac that won't rush us through our dives?

thanks,
Bill

I am not an expert on Cayman Brac, but I have done a week there. I feel bad that no one has replied, so I will give my half knowledge.

I think you should stay with your plans. No one is going to push you into the water. You can just sit down with them and tell them what you want to do. They will help you plan a week that is exactly what you want.

I've also been to the Brac and there's certainly no cattle boat operations there. It's a great place, very laid back, I'm sure they will make any accomidations that you ask of them. I'm back to the east end of Grand cayman again in five weeks and some days, my wife knows how many minutes until we leave. Have fun!

I've been at both the Brac resort and the Divi on the Brac. I don't think that "reef divers" will rush you with anything. They seem to do a good job. It's quite laid back and shallow diving. I think they qualify as a small op, unless you end up with 20 people on the boat and I have'nt seen that very often. Also, most of the dive ops are down on the amount of people visiting the resorts with fuel surcharges and the soft economy.
Depending when you go to the Brac (the Holidays would not be a good time), I think you'll really enjoy yourself. There really aren't many operators on the Brac, mainly just Reef Divers from the Brac Reef resort and Divi Tiara with the Divi resorts.
If you do cancel, you might want to try Bonaire and shore dive at your own pace.

thanks guys for all of your input on diving with Brac Reef. I'll stick with them. It sounds from everyone's reply's that it won't be too hard on us geezer divers.

Bill

I'd stick with your reservations. When you dive with Reef Divers (say hi to Craig and Marky Mark for me!), you can choose on any given dive to follow a divemaster on a "tour" (meander would be more like it) or just do your own thing. The 2 times we've been there (a week at a time), most folks do their own thing unless the divemaster says he's going to find something really cool.

Also, you can always choose to blow off an afternoon dive to tour the island or take a "hammock dive". We usually skip Wednesday afternoon so we can get rid of some nitrogen and tour the island. You will generally also have the afternoon of your last day to mess around as well.

I'd recommend staying with a divemaster or another experienced dive pair on the 1st AM dive of the first couple of days as those tend to be deeper wall dives (often with swim-throughs to get to the wall). The 2nd AM dive and the afternoon dives are shallower and much more amenable to just chillin' on your own. I do advise making sure that you can see at least 2 other divers every minute or so. Also, when you are on your own, stay fairly close to the boat (that's where much of the good stuff is anyway) at least until you are confident in your navigational skills. Having to make long swims back to the boat because you misjudged the distance just isn't that much fun.

Enjoy!

Ken (who longs for the Brac after the "just OK" diving on Curacao in August)

hi Ken, thanks for the tips. I'll tell them all hi for you.

Bill

khobday:
I'd stick with your reservations. When you dive with Reef Divers (say hi to Craig and Marky Mark for me!), you can choose on any given dive to follow a divemaster on a "tour" (meander would be more like it) or just do your own thing. The 2 times we've been there (a week at a time), most folks do their own thing unless the divemaster says he's going to find something really cool.

Also, you can always choose to blow off an afternoon dive to tour the island or take a "hammock dive". We usually skip Wednesday afternoon so we can get rid of some nitrogen and tour the island. You will generally also have the afternoon of your last day to mess around as well.

I'd recommend staying with a divemaster or another experienced dive pair on the 1st AM dive of the first couple of days as those tend to be deeper wall dives (often with swim-throughs to get to the wall). The 2nd AM dive and the afternoon dives are shallower and much more amenable to just chillin' on your own. I do advise making sure that you can see at least 2 other divers every minute or so. Also, when you are on your own, stay fairly close to the boat (that's where much of the good stuff is anyway) at least until you are confident in your navigational skills. Having to make long swims back to the boat because you misjudged the distance just isn't that much fun.

Enjoy!

Ken (who longs for the Brac after the "just OK" diving on Curacao in August)

We are planning on going on Oct 1 - Oct 8. Last min plan. We have been to GC only once on a Cruise, so just a few hours. Snorkled at Stingray city. Then I started diving Oct '04 and now have around 70 dives and am AOW, Nitrox and Rescue with my deepest dive to date @150'. Could you please help us little? I have seen several houses for rent and for pretty good prices. But is it better to stay closer to the west end? My wife doesn't dive and we have a 2 month old baby. In your opinion who is the better dive operator of the 2, or are there more? What are must sees? Etc. any comments or advice greatly appriciated.

OK, I've found the info/ discussion on the 2 main dive operators. But what about Brac aquatics? Anyone have any experience w/ them? Also renting the Featherstone home downstairs only?

QUETZAL:
We are planning on going on Oct 1 - Oct 8. Last min plan. We have been to GC only once on a Cruise, so just a few hours. Snorkled at Stingray city. Then I started diving Oct '04 and now have around 70 dives and am AOW, Nitrox and Rescue with my deepest dive to date @150'. Could you please help us little? I have seen several houses for rent and for pretty good prices. But is it better to stay closer to the west end? My wife doesn't dive and we have a 2 month old baby. In your opinion who is the better dive operator of the 2, or are there more? What are must sees? Etc. any comments or advice greatly appriciated.

For one thing I hope you realize that the "Brac" is not Grand Cayman. It is very quiet on the Brac. Your choices of dive ops are really just one "reef divers" out of the "Brac Reef" resort, to dive with "Divi Tiara" you would have to be a guest.
Renting a home on the Brac. If you plan on diving, then get as far west as possible and if you can rent on the south west side you'll be close to the dive ops. If you don't stay in the extreme south west corner of the Brac, you will have to rent a car to get to dive ops. There are more homes on the north west side to rent and this is probably where you end up renting.
There really isn't much of a town, there's tiny museum but it's questionable. There are maybe ahalf dozen places to eat and they are all far from eachother, you'd need a car.
The top of the bluff has quite a view.
There are caves, such as 'Rebeccas cave', 'bat cave', and a couple of others.
The road on the southwest side ends at the ocean where you can watch the sun go down over Little Cayman.
The public beach is very small, anytime you go there you'll most likely be the only on the beach.
The Brac has some really great dives and quiet, it makes Grand Cayman look like Vegas (even though there's no gambling), that is about it. Of course I like that, but not everyone does.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom