Diving in Cabo Pulmo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fitman5150

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings everyone!
I’m brand new to Scubaboard.com. but not diving (20+yes).
Wife & I are going to Cabo San Lucas area San Jose Cabo to be exact during Thanksgiving week. Have some diving already arranged with Cabo Pulmo Diving operation.
Can anyone please give me some direction & experiences in that area please?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!
-Chad

Good dive operators?
What kind of viz to expect?

How was your experience?

We were there in March, vis was OK but I understand is better in the fall. We drove with Mar y Sierra who employed divemasters from Diving Station....both are great.

Cabo Pulmo has 5 restaurants that serve dinner and a 6th that is open for lunch. We tried three all of whom were fine. One restaurant has a store with basics...anything else is best purchased in San Jose del Cabo. No streetlights so if you haven't been there before plan to arrive before dark. Lots of hiking trails and beach so enjoy.

Thanks for both of your responses.
Much appreciated

I did Cabo Pulmo in Nov 2014 and then in Feb 2016, both times for a few days prior to boarding a liveaboard.

I dove with Thierry Lannoy at Mar Y Sierra and stayed at a rented house. I can offer you details on that if you need it.

November had water temps around 80 and viz was 60-80 feet at its best. Sea conditions were pretty good at that time, but weather and sea conditions are potluck these days.

Cabo Pulmo has big schools of fish and it also offers the possibility of seeing bull sharks.

If you intend to rent a car and drive there from the airport after arrival, it takes 2 hrs and a bit. Something to keep in mind: the first hour or so of driving is on good roads, but last 45 minutes to an hour will be on an undivided highway with single lane in each direction. And unless they have improved the road, the last 15-20 minutes is unpaved gravel on a hilly road with a lot of curves, and it is unlit or very poorly lit. Bottom line is that, at least in my opinion, and considering that you may be driving on roads that are totally unknown to you, it is best to drive there when there is daylight.

When I was last there in 2016, Cabo Pulmo relied mostly on solar power for electricity. That means that it is quite dark on the streets at night. Bring a flashlight if you intend to walk around or to go out to eat, for example.

Back
Top Bottom