Diving in Brasil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matriga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there! :)
Family and I are planning to go to Brasil next July. We'll be heading for the north I think.
Does anyone know how beautiful the ocean is? I have no clue if it's actually worth it.
I've dived in Egypt, Corsica and Madagascar (WOW!!) before.
Could you compare it with one of the above?

Thanks,

Mathilde

I dove in Brazil last December, and although I had a great time (I was out diving after all), the conditions were not that great. I dove in Paraty (a little south of Rio De Janeiro). It is at the bottom of a mountain and they had just received a lot of rain resulting in run-off that reduced visibility to about 20 feet. The water was also surprisingly cool (to me). I am accustomed to cold water diving, and was fine in my 5mm wetsuit with the water temperature around 60 degrees below the thermocline, but other divers were staying above the thermocline. This would normally not be a problem except that the reef was mostly below the thermocline, so I missed a lot of it by sticking close to my buddy due to the low visibility.

I have to imagine that the water is a lot warmer in Northern Brazil, so feel free to treat this post as off-topic background information :)

I've heard that Fernando de Noronha and Abrolhas are two of the dive sites of special interest in Brazil. Hope to dive there some day myself.

Hello there

If you are going to Northern and if you enjoy wreck diving I would recommend you to visit Recife - Pernambuco state. This city is considered the Brazilian shipwreck capital. The conditions are excellent even during the winter season: 28 C degree / 30 meters of visibility.

Abrolhos is also a nice place for diving and whale watching.

http://www.mergulhocerto.com.br/en/imagem/mapaMergulhoRecife.gif

Attachments

• mapaMergulhoRecife.gif
    mapaMergulhoRecife.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 612
Of course Brazil is a big country with a fair bit of coastline and different conditions in different locations. Do you know specifically what areas you will be in?

Of course Brazil is a big country with a fair bit of coastline and different conditions in different locations. Do you know specifically what areas you will be in?

Something like 7500 km (4600 miles) of maritime coastline. North part could be 2300 miles.

Back
Top Bottom