Diving in/around Chilliwack BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me give you some background first. I used to live in Ottawa for many years, where I picked up scuba diving, and became very addicted to the underwater world. I accumulated a large quantity of expensive high quality gear. Being close to the St Lawrence River, which is some of the greated fresh water diving in the world, made diving easy, and relatively inexpensive. Especially since my friends owned the local scuba shop, charter boats, and resort.

In 2003 I moved to Edmonton with work, and since then, all of that gear has been used once. When I flew home for a friend's wedding.

Now, it looks like I might be moving to Chilliwack in the next year, and I am debating whether I should move my gear or not. I am wondering what sort of Scuba Diving community there is in Chilliwack, and how affordable it is.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chilliwack is very close to Vancouver and there is some awesome diving there!!! You aren't too far from Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and well that is fun. In a couple of hours you can be in Sechelt for some diving there. BC has some of the finest diving in the world.

Short story - bring your gear. If you don't and you discover what I speak of, you will be very unhappy you didn't.

As far as diving in Chilliwack itself - better take up whitewater kayaking. The Chilliwack river is a fun class 3 run.:D

Oh and welcome to Scubaboard. Keep asking questions and we are glad you found us.

CanadianDiver496:
Let me give you some background first. I used to live in Ottawa for many years, where I picked up scuba diving, and became very addicted to the underwater world. I accumulated a large quantity of expensive high quality gear. Being close to the St Lawrence River, which is some of the greated fresh water diving in the world, made diving easy, and relatively inexpensive. Especially since my friends owned the local scuba shop, charter boats, and resort.

In 2003 I moved to Edmonton with work, and since then, all of that gear has been used once. When I flew home for a friend's wedding.

Now, it looks like I might be moving to Chilliwack in the next year, and I am debating whether I should move my gear or not. I am wondering what sort of Scuba Diving community there is in Chilliwack, and how affordable it is.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you kidding? Chilliwack is like 11 hours of driving closer to the ocean than Edmonton. Why wouldn't you take your gear?

Also, if you've been in Edmonton for 3 years and never dove, then you aren't that addicted to diving. It's may not be Ottawa as it takes more time and effort to get the dives in, but anyone "addicted" wouldn't have a problem getting in some dives.

It's not a matter of how addicted I truly was. Sometimes you just can't affor $700 to $1400 per weekend to go diving from Edmonton to the West Coast. Oh, or maybe I could dive for cheaper in a bog? Yeah, don't think so. I guess I have been spoiled spending so much time diving in good conditions, that I don't feel like downgrading to muddy, no vis, waters.

As OE2X said, bring the gear. You will not regret it. You will not be that far from some great diving and unless I am mistaken there is a dive club in Chilliwack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom