Diving in Angra dos Reis, Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad,

Yes, Parati is a very nice city in Brazil. Very interesting and charming city.

I have stayed at Pousada Porto Imperial "http://www.pousadaportoimperial.com.br/" about some years ago and It was nice. The dive operator that I used that time has a boat called "Mr.Big" and It was ok.

Oi Daniel. Tudu Bem?

An SB trip sounds like a great idea. I am on Ilha Grande right now. Unfortunately it1s been raining here almost every day and supposedly the visibility is so bad it's not worth going out. And it's not even the rainy season yet!

Daniel from Elite Dive Center said this is an El Nino year. I've been on the island for about 10-12 days. It's a beautiful island but not getting in the water is making me antsy.

Tomorrow I am going to talk with the boat operator of another dive company to see about working as a videographer. Although if this rain keeps up that might not be fruitful.

Daniel recommended I go to Ahial Du Cabo because they have such high traffic of divers, especially first timers, and that would be a good place to work as a videographer.

I am wondering if it is not raining as hard up North at Recife. Evidently that place is wreck central. Perhaps I can just work as a web designer in the city and dive wrecks on the weekend.

There's the saga as it unfolds. More to come.

Thanks for the tips. Sorry I couldn't translate to Portuguese. Having trouble with my iGoogle account with the slow connection.

By the way, I'm learning Portuguese. It's very challenging, but fun.

Hey Chad,

When you're ready to try, I'll write in Portuguese!

Sorry to hear about the rain. It hasn't much stopped in Rio, either, but I guess that won't really make you feel better! I don't know about El Nino, but whatever the guys from Elite say should be about right. They should have friends in most of the dive shops along this part of the coast, so you might want to ask them about asking friends in Ubatuba, Ilhabela, Arraial, etc.

Recife is absolutely wreck central, check out
these guys for info. By the way, the same company, Atlantis Divers, has a new liveaboard catamaran, the Enterprise, in your area.

I haven't had time yet to write up a trip report on Arraial (I could use a format, but haven't seen one around), but I can tell you there are 10-12 dive boats going out on a given weekend. Visibility was also considerably lower than I remembered it to be, and the water was COOOLD, like 65-68 degrees or so. If you're not getting good viz on the Angra side of Rio, I imagine that at least its a little warmer.

As for an SB trip, I'll put something on SB just after NYE, and let's see what we can do. Since you're already out there, I guess the easiest is to look for a discount on mid-week dives out of Angra, Paraty or Ilha Grande.

Best,
Daniel

Not sure but this thread may be dead. I from the US and live part time in Brazil. I have a condo about 15 km north of Angra. I am interested in diving from Ilha Grande. I have read some great suggestions on dive operators in this thread. I have a few other questions, can anyone recommend a dive resort on Ilha Grande, you know hotel and diving combined? Also, I am by myself so if anyone is interested in joining me for some diving in Ilha Grande let me know. I will be here until April 2012.

I have over 50 dives in about 4 years most in some challenging conditions off the coast of North Carolina in the US. Lots of current and very deep. I am certified for Night Diving, Underwater Navigation, Boat Diving, and Nitrox (mandatory for deep recreational diving like off the NC coast) among other things. I also enjoy spear fishing but I know that is not something everyone agrees with. Of course I only do that in areas that are approved and I conform to all fishing regs. Also enjoy grabbing a few lobsters off the NC coast, yeah we have them they just do not have the big claws but they taste really good.

I am also open to traveling pretty much anywhere for some diving. I need a diving buddy for some traveling. No restrictions other than it would be good for us to share one common language, I speak English, and can hold a conversation in Brazilian Portuguese and use to be OK in Spanish. I can also brush up on my Italian although it has been awhile. I also like to have a good time so people that really enjoy life are a big plus. I retired at 56 so I have a lot of flexibility in my schedule.

I am planning a trip to St Lucia for the summer. If you want to enjoy the diving off the North Carolina coast in the US let me know. Maybe some of the best shark diving locations in the world. There is one wreck that is famous for its huge Sand Tiger Sharks, don't worry they are about 7th on the list of shark attacks, lol.

Other trips I am thinking about are Colombia, I have been there a number of times but never diving, and also Australia which could turn into a grand tour of the South Pacific.

One last thing, I am a big supporter of environmental groups trying to protect the oceans! Check out the Ocean Conservancy (just Google it). Of course there are a lot of other very important groups.

Will

Back
Top Bottom