Diving in Amsterdam area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankF

Reaction score
I will be in Amsterdam in mid May and was trying to gauge whether or not I should bring my gear. Are there any good places to dive within a few hours drive?? Also, I will be traveling with a non-diver so I would have to find somewhere that has groups or charters going out. Or if any of you from the board would want to meet up that would be great, too!

I have absolutely no knowledge of the diving in that area, so any information you have would be helpful.

Thanks!

Frank

FrankF:
I will be in Amsterdam in mid May and was trying to gauge whether or not I should bring my gear. Are there any good places to dive within a few hours drive?? Also, I will be traveling with a non-diver so I would have to find somewhere that has groups or charters going out. Or if any of you from the board would want to meet up that would be great, too!

I have absolutely no knowledge of the diving in that area, so any information you have would be helpful.

Thanks!

Frank

There are more than enough places to go diving in the Netherlands. Zeeland offers excellent opportunities with less than 2 hours of driving. Just don't expect tropical conditions here.

If you're in need of a buddy, you can always PM me.

El Orans

Frank wrote:

Frank,

basically I'd say, no, the diving around Amsterdam isn't great, so don't bring your gear.

However, if you're not afraid of cold water, current and limited viz, :errrr: you might do a couple of dives in The Oosterschelde, a marine estuary, about 80 miles south of Amsterdam. Most dives are during slack water, so timing is essential (unless you brought Pounds and are planning to do some shopping in the UK). We go diving all the time in The oosterschelde, so if you want, you can come with us.

Another option is wreck diving on the North Sea, but this is for experienced divers only (say minimum 150 dives in cold water/bad viz).

Any more info, PM me.

Steven

Since you're from PA, I'll guess that you can handle cold water, so if you have the time available, bring your gear and get down to Zeeland. The guys are right...there's nothing worth seeing in the immediate vicinity of Amsterdam. I think May is mating season for cuttlefish ( Sepias), so that would be a good enough reason to bring your stuff and travel 1 1/2 hours. Alternatively, leave the stuff at home and just rent it. Either way, you'll want to dive dry.

Phil

Hmm... it seems like nobody has got anything interesting to say about diving in the Netherlands, eh? Ok, ofcourse you can't compare it with anything tropical. But there must be a reason why you keep coming back, right? :wink:
So far I've only been to one other country outside the Netherlands for diving. The Philippines... that was really great! Like paradise!
But diving in Holland is fun too! It's totally different. It kinda offers you a challenge. And there will be plenty of dives where you won't find a thing under water. But there will also be dives where you can find interesting things.
So I do think you should bring your gear! I'm not sure if you're gonna like it. Cause I don't know in what conditions you're used to dive in. But you can always try!
And like so many others offered, if you need someone to dive with... give me a buzz.

Ramón

If you want to know about diving in the Amsterdam area, I strongly recommend the movie "Amsterdamned". Any video store should be able to get it for you.

Zeeland has the best diving in the Netherlands. Drift diving in the Oosterschelde should only be done by advanced divers. The Grevelingen offers easy shore diving and has a totally unique UW life as the lake changed several times from salt to fresh and v.v.

ScubaRon:
If you want to know about diving in the Amsterdam area, I strongly recommend the movie "Amsterdamned".

Just so you know, the actual underwater scenes were filmed in Oostvoorne. The remains of the wreck are still there.

El Orans:
Just so you know, the actual underwater scenes were filmed in Oostvoorne. The remains of the wreck are still there.
They probably couldn't find any stuntmen willing to take a plunge in the canals...LOL

ScubaRon:
They probably couldn't find any stuntmen willing to take a plunge in the canals...LOL

C'mon Ron, Amsterdam is FULL of stuntmen willing to take a dive! :54:

Phil

I think Ron is right. The only stuntman who dare to go in there are the foreigners (no offence intended) who have no idea in what kind of swill they're swimming.
Until they find out... but it's already too late then. hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom