Diving in a t-shirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester22

New
Reaction score
I'm going to be in very warm water and would rather not spend the money on some wetsuit. What do you think about t-shirt diving?

We used to dive in t-shirts and sweatshirts a lot when I first started in the 70’s. T-shirts were fine if just doing 1 dive a day with several days in between dive days, sweatshirts were best for multiple dives per day. Still, the cotton would get heavy and would get cold during surface intervals. Not sure where you are diving, but if there are jellyfish, t-shirts and trunks are not going to protect you.

Erik

A tee shirt and swim trunks are completely acceptable if that is what you want to do. Personally, I have a 1mm wetsuit that is great for tropical waters and offers better protection that and tee and trunks. I even wear it under my 3mm if I'm diving colder waters (below 70°). And they are fairly inexpensive. I bought mine for under $100 US.

Go to a Job Lot near you. They may have (never a sure thing @ JL) a 3mm Stern or Henderson one piece wet suit or a 2mm shorty either one is usually $20.00.
I bought a shorty and a one piece, I use the 3mm here for snorkeling and the shorty I just used in FL 2 months ago. Or look on Ebay sometimes you can find full one piece rash guard suits cheap $30.00 for example. I use a rash guard here to ease putting my 7mm on, it also slows the circulation of water under the suit.

My wife bought the shorty, used it in FL, and also last week under her 5mm for snorkeling.

If you are going to dive in different locations you are either going to need to rent or own the appropriated gear. I try to own, and find a use for it here where I do 98% of my diving.

I'm going to be in very warm water and would rather not spend the money on some wetsuit. What do you think about t-shirt diving?
A t-shirt is totally fine as long as you also remember to put on your swim trunks!

Many people are (overly?) paranoid about getting stung underwater and hence always wear a full length suit of some sort. I wore a shorty for over 20 years and never got a hit on my exposed arms and legs, just my face and neck. My current wetsuit is a full length, but we went tshirt diving last year in Utilla since the water was so warm. No issues.

You will get hit. How often? How bad? I only got 1 hit on our last trip a few weeks ago - on my upper lip. It stung like crazy for about 30 seconds, hurt a lot for a few minutes but I had forgotten about it by the end of the dive.

Less weight and less gear to put on and take off is also very nice.

I always dive a nylon T and nylon shorts in water thats not colder than about 70°F. Never taken a wetsuit or even a vest to Bonaire, Florida, Dominica, Grand Cayman, etc.

It's literally the only way I dive for the past 3 decades. Mine are just generic cotton t-shirts but you can buy long-sleeve rash guards to help in areas with stinging things.

I also dive in micro-fiber long board shortts. Mine have a little velcro tab on the front pockets which I find useful - the lens cap on my video housing goes in one - my bc pockets are awkward. They're light and dry fast.

I boughr a Lyxcra skin once as wer were going to an area known for jellyfish. When we got there the DM saud purging your octo will move them out of the way when surfacing - the skin has never been wet.

Last edited:
T-shirts are fine, rash guards dry a lot faster.

I’ve got a collection of rash guards from various trips and places I’ve been diving. I’ll bring 2 to a week long trip, give one a good rinse in the shower after I’m done diving for the day and hang it up.

I have brought a wetsuit to Bonaire several times, planning to wear it when I’m going to do a deep dive. Always bring it home without having taken it out of the suitcase.

Just be careful. Last year I was diving with a T shirt in warm florida waters and I did suffer from some stings (various creatures). Perhaps, I'm a magnet to the creatures. Must admit, it felt great.

My first year and a half of diving I dove shirtless. I did always wear gloves though, since I liked to pick up things (trash mostly) under water.

I bought a rash guard after my first jellyfish encounter, but like others are saying, I didn't get stung much and when I did it tended to be on the lip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom