Diving "House Reefs"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigDaddyGlad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the protocol for diving "house reefs" in Bonaire?

We stayed at Buddy Dive this year, and quite enjoyed night dives on the house reef. The landmarks were easy to find in the dark, and there was lots of wildlife. For our next trip, we'll be staying in a vacation rental. Can we still use the Buddy Dive reef at night if we're not staying at the resort?

If diving house reefs are okay, does anyone have recommendations for others we should try to check out?

I know you can pull in and unload your gear at Buddy's at the turnaround during the day. I'm not sure about whether that's cool at night or not. I highly recommend the Salt Pier at night. Dive it during the day if you aren't already familiar with the layout, but if you like it during the day you'll love it at night.

What is the protocol for diving "house reefs" in Bonaire?

We stayed at Buddy Dive this year, and quite enjoyed night dives on the house reef. The landmarks were easy to find in the dark, and there was lots of wildlife. For our next trip, we'll be staying in a vacation rental. Can we still use the Buddy Dive reef at night if we're not staying at the resort?

If diving house reefs are okay, does anyone have recommendations for others we should try to check out?
You'll of course have to bring your own tanks to dive the BD reef. And park somewhere.
You may or may not get charged (typically $5-10) to dive some of the house reefs, or be told just to go away.

At night there is no one policing the dive pier and the guard at the front gate seems to just wave everyone into the property.

There is no parking right at the pier ( just gear drop off ), but you can park at any of the available lot spaces. I don't think it would be any problem to night dive at Buddy Dive.

In general we have always found that for many of the house reefs there is "public" parking nearby and one can walk to reach them. I like staying at places with a house reef. Fun night dives with new toys like UV lights, then come out with cold adult beverage awaiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom