Diving Headache ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reprinted without permission:

BOSTON—The term “airplane headache,” a newly acknowledged clinical entity in the ICHD-3, refers to a recently described headache form whose attacks are strictly related to airplane travel, mostly to the landing phase. According to a report presented at the International Headache Congress 2013 meeting, airplane headache can coexist with a similar headache form associated with diving.
Using a detailed questionnaire, Giorgio Zanchin, MD, Director of the Headache Center, Department of Neurology at Padua University, Italy, and colleagues identified among 85 patients with airplane headache, nine patients with headache attacks also occurring during free or scuba diving. These patients (five females, four males, mean age 37), who complained of airplane headache attacks during landing in more than 50% of their flights, referred to the occasional onset of jabbing, severe, unilateral headaches in the frontotemporal region during free or scuba diving. They described this headache as presenting with the same features as that experienced during airplane landing. No accompanying symptoms were reported. Three patients free dove, attaining the maximum depth of five to eight meters, and six patients scuba dove, reaching an average depth of approximately 20 meters. According to the patient reports, the pain started shortly after the ascent, reaching its peak in a few minutes. No concomitant airway disturbance was reported during diving. In eight of the nine cases, the pain occurred in more than 30% of their dives; one patient complained of the headache occasionally.
Dr. Zanchin and colleagues reported that brain MRI, angio-MRI, and cranial CT-scan for sinuses were normal in these patients.
The coexistence of headache with peculiar, overlapping features triggered by these different situations—airplane landing and ascending after diving—supports the hypothesis of a shared pathophysiologic mechanism: the rapid change of external pressure, which occurs in both conditions, not accompanied by an adequate compensation inside the cranial sinuses.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Heard of it? I'm certain a fairly large percentage have had that :)
Even though your Eustachian tubes may equalize your ears fine the sinus cavity might be congested or slow to adjust when you ascend and BAM
Pretty much a "reverse block"

Heard of it? I'm certain a fairly large percentage have had that :)
Even though your Eustachian tubes may equalize your ears fine the sinus cavity might be congested or slow to adjust when you ascend and BAM
Pretty much a "reverse block"

For the airplane its not reverse as you are descending.

nothing new to me I had them sometimes until I started diving. when I learned what it is the problem was solved quickly. Not equalizing sinuses creates that pain

For the airplane its not reverse as you are descending.

nothing new to me I had them sometimes until I started diving. when I learned what it is the problem was solved quickly. Not equalizing sinuses creates that pain

My bad,I should've added in the context of diving :) Have yet to get it from flying

I get airplane headaches, caused by delayed flights, missed connections, and rude flight support personnel.

Back
Top Bottom