Diving Hanauma Bay...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Style

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anybody dive Hanauma bay recently?

My friend, his fiance and I are planning on diving there early Sunday morning...we plan on getting to the parking lot when they open, attend the class...do the jig...get on the the yearly list...and dive.

We figured that it was better to go there early...sign up, then leisurely suit up, ride the bus down...and hit the water around 8am or so...

We did some research and found out about the channel leading out of the reef (marked by a buoy in front of the lifeguard tower)...

I know all of this seems like such a hassle...but we have to do it at least once...if anyone wants to join us...you are welcome...if you want to meet up...pm me or call me on my cell phone: 457-0743. I'll be in a Silver Subaru and my friend in a White Jeep Wrangler.

Any additional info would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Brent

Last edited:
yep.. great dive site!

sounds like you've seen the SB sight reviews.. but just in case..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lo...-information-reviews-hawaiian-dive-sites.html

hope you have great viz..

follow the cable for one of the dives..

and the other dive.. maybe start at the left (north-east corner) of the bay..
there's another set of orange buoys in that corner..
surface swim past those buoys for 100yds or so (or when it gets 20feet deep)..
then just continue along the left wall.. past "toilet bowl"..
if you're really good on air.. you can make it to the giant archway at the mouth of the bay..
big as it is.. the arch can hide, so, be level at 30fsw to see it readily..

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if a dive flag/marker is needed for this dive? Since it was a protected area...I didn't think boats were allowed in the bay...

yep.. great dive site!

sounds like you've seen the SB sight reviews.. but just in case..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lo...-information-reviews-hawaiian-dive-sites.html

hope you have great viz..

follow the cable for one of the dives..

and the other dive.. maybe start at the left (north-east corner) of the bay..
there's another set of orange buoys in that corner..
surface swim past those buoys for 100yds or so (or when it gets 20feet deep)..
then just continue along the left wall.. past "toilet bowl"..
if you're really good on air.. you can make it to the giant archway at the mouth of the bay..
big as it is.. the arch can hide, so, be level at 30fsw to see it readily..

When are you coming back home, we want to play with your boat...

As long as you're taking the tram down and up, it'll be all good. There's no way I would be able to lug all my stuff to and from the parking lot.

When are you coming back home, we want to play with your boat...
i wanna play wit my boat too :eyebrow:

but not 'til thanksgiving :(

Does anyone know if a dive flag/marker is needed for this dive? Since it was a protected area...I didn't think boats were allowed in the bay...
okay.. this isn't recommendation.. but just observation..
i've only taken a dive-flag there once.. the first time..
since then.. dove it a dozen or more times over 2 years..
just keep in mind..
1. there are lifeguards there.. (who might change their ways and start checkin')
2. for the first time or two there.. it's a good way (and a reassurance to you) the lifeguards know you're out there..

so, at least have one in your car..

There are no boats allowed and as such no dive flags required. I asked one of the lifeguards once and that is what I got from them.

trying to put a little excursion together for HB. A little longer/deeper but we might see you there.

Back
Top Bottom