Diving ghost town in Lake Roosevelt??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too used to live in the town of kettle falls, To restate what others have said:
Kettle Falls used to be located closer to the Columbian River, When The Grand Coulee Dam was built, it flooded the river basin and created what is now called Lake Roosevelt. There was a few towns that needed to be relocated and one of them was Kettle Falls, (previously Meyers Falls). Now to Clarify, the Locus Grove area is actually above the water level and was the actual site of Meyers Falls, The foundations and markers can be visited in the public park that is created around that area.

If you go north of that town to a small area called Marcus, there is some foundations and roadways that are submerged that was the old Marcus town site. Every few years or so, the powers that be, lower the water level of the lake and do maintance on the damn. When water levels drop significantly, You can walk out the old foundations found in the Marcus area. These are not much to look at and are covered heavily by nasty stinkey goo (very fine silt).

Rex

There are actually eleven towns that had post offices under Lake Roosevelt. My research leads me to believe that a few of them may have some surviving structures. Most were relocated. Some were not. Interesting topic, eh?

Rick Inman:
Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Oh, yes, I would be very interested to see where there actually is some underwater structures.

Emailing you now...

EDIT: Your email address comes back as invalid.

Rick, I'm not to sure on why that email isn't working, Try this account.

smgarwood@gmail.com

Talk to you later

Wow, I'm finding this thread really interesting! I just last week posted (in the Wreck Valley forum) a similar question about the Wanaque Resevoir where I grew up in N.J. in the 50's-'70s. When I was a kid, and the dam was drained or there was a very rare drought, I could see some buildings and foundations. I'd love to know what's still there and see if it's worth diving now.

Of course, this resevoir was also very famous for repeated UFO landings and sightings so who knows?

I look forward to seeing the pics of Lake Roosevelt's sunken townsites and hearing more.

I know here Just north of Dallas, Tx there is Lake Lavon and there are a few towns underwater. I have never seen any of them as the Vis there is 3" on a good day. I have seen sonar images of the areas and there appear to be a structure or two standing. So there is some hope. I would love to dive in a ghost town.

I know this thread has been dormant for a little bit, but I thought some might still be interested. I don't dive, but I fish and I was looking for the town of Peach in order to try to find some structure to fish. It led me to this board but also to this article.

historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=pf_output.cfm&file_id=7862

HistoryLink Essay:peach post office closes in preparation for the town's inundation by the rising waters of Roosevelt Lake on April 9, 1939.

HistoryLink Essay:peach post office closes in preparation for the town's inundation by the rising waters of Roosevelt Lake on April 9, 1939

My reading between the lines of this article seems to indicate that very little structure was left at the bottom for fear that it would eventually float to the top and create potential navigation issues. The folks talking about roads and foundations only are probably pretty spot on with their analysis.

Now this is not involving lake Rosevelt, but another town rumored to be in lake Billy Chinook. It is rumored that in the Deschuttes river arm of Billy there was a town that was submerged when the damn was built. I have heard that it may be beyond the last boat ramp on the Deschuttes river arm. I don't have the greatest reasources, but it would seem likely that a town may have been present. The stories lay claim to an orchard by the town. If that is the case, this may have some truth to the town. In the years that I have been diving I have noticed tree's in the water that are of orchard style, while there are no others of the like around. If anyone has some info on this possible site I would love to know more... Site's such as these are VERY interesting to me, and I would love to find something like this.
DP

In case anyone still checks this thread, you should check out ToledoBend.com. Toledo bend is a lake that was once a town flooded. There are structures roads and an old cemetery visible. It is open for diving as well. You can find out more at their website.

Happy diving

to correct my previous post the website is Toledo-Bend.com

Happy diving

In case anyone still checks this thread, you should check out ToledoBend.com. Toledo bend is a lake that was once a town flooded. There are structures roads and an old cemetery visible. It is open for diving as well. You can find out more at their website.

Happy diving

Thanks, but, kinda a drive for us PNW-ers. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom