Diving gear in Bangkok/Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could pay for the extra luggage, but that tends to be expensive. Since most liveaboards will depart from Khao Lak, I would recommend a bus to Phuket via Khao Lak and get out there. No additional charges so will be the cheapest option and not much more travel time. Plus IMO the most convenient way.
What’s the bus travel time from bangkok to Khao Lak?

I'm looking to buy a full set of gear. I'm curently living in Japan where diving/diving gear is crazy expensive ($80 for for rental for 2 dives). I found good prices online, but shipping will be a problem (expensive). And it would be nice to take a look at and try on the bcd/wet suit.

I'm doing a livaboard to the Similans this winter. I will have 1 day in Bangkok and 1 day on Phuket berfore the boat leaves. It would be nice to bite the bullet and get a complete set for myself.

Can anyone recommend good stores in either location.

Thanks.

Andy

You will find that dive equipment in Thailand is quite expensive comparted to prices in the EU. In general I would say 30%-50% more. If you live in Japan why just just buy online and ship it to Japan, if I am not mistaken Japan has no import tax for water sports gear. Also you will not have to pay EU VAT since its shipping out of the EU. I buy almost all my gear online from the EU and ship it to the US (they too have no import tax on dive equipment). Last year I even ordered a rebreather from France to the US did not have to pay VAT in the EU or pay import tax in the US, literally saved like €2,000+

I recently bought about 25kg of dive gear from Spain to the US via UPS and I think it was €70 for shipping but I saved about $700 buying the gear from Spain vs buying it online in the US and maybe double that compared to buying it in SE Asia.

You will find that dive equipment in Thailand is quite expensive comparted to prices in the EU. In general I would say 30%-50% more. If you live in Japan why just just buy online and ship it to Japan, if I am not mistaken Japan has no import tax for water sports gear. Also you will not have to pay EU VAT since its shipping out of the EU. I buy almost all my gear online from the EU and ship it to the US (they too have no import tax on dive equipment). Last year I even ordered a rebreather from France to the US did not have to pay VAT in the EU or pay import tax in the US, literally saved like €2,000+

I recently bought about 25kg of dive gear from Spain to the US via UPS and I think it was €70 for shipping but I saved about $700 buying the gear from Spain vs buying it online in the US and maybe double that compared to buying it in SE Asia.
Which websites do you use for Spain/EU? I've seen Jonas' Dive Store, Lucas' Dive Store, GI Dive Store.

Which websites do you use for Spain/EU? I've seen Jonas' Dive Store, Lucas' Dive Store, GI Dive Store.

Mostly GI dive Store, but I have used Jonas as well. I have been very happy with both and they have very good customer service. They always respond to emails with in 1 business day (obviously there is a significant time change) also you can call them too and they are very helpful. Make sure you are using there "international" site the prices do not include EU VAT

Mostly GI dive Store, but I have used Jonas as well. I have been very happy with both and they have very good customer service. They always respond to emails with in 1 business day (obviously there is a significant time change) also you can call them too and they are very helpful. Make sure you are using there "international" site the prices do not include EU VAT
I'm actually having trouble with a JDS order. It wouldn't go through. But they were updating their website. The payment page asks for some sort of ID number... tried emailing them but no reply :(

I'm actually having trouble with a JDS order. It wouldn't go through. But they were updating their website. The payment page asks for some sort of ID number... tried emailing them but no reply :(

Last time I ordered from them they sent me an invoice and a bank link with the invoice and I paid directly to there bank. What kind of bank card are you using? If its from a SE Asian country that might be the problem also. I know in the past I have placed several foreign online orders for local friends in Asia using one of my American or Australian credit cards because the website was not accepting there local bank cards and they just paid me back.

Last time I ordered from them they sent me an invoice and a bank link with the invoice and I paid directly to there bank. What kind of bank card are you using? If its from a SE Asian country that might be the problem also. I know in the past I have placed several foreign online orders for local friends in Asia using one of my American or Australian credit cards because the website was not accepting there local bank cards and they just paid me back.
I was using Paypal. I have a US bank account linked to Paypal. Maybe it was just because their website was being updated? I'll try again soon. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom