Diving gear in Bangkok/Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andydob27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to buy a full set of gear. I'm curently living in Japan where diving/diving gear is crazy expensive ($80 for for rental for 2 dives). I found good prices online, but shipping will be a problem (expensive). And it would be nice to take a look at and try on the bcd/wet suit.

I'm doing a livaboard to the Similans this winter. I will have 1 day in Bangkok and 1 day on Phuket berfore the boat leaves. It would be nice to bite the bullet and get a complete set for myself.

Can anyone recommend good stores in either location.

Thanks.

Andy

Hey Andy! I would suggest you decide on what kind of diving you will want to do in the future and what your requirements on gear are.
Every store has different distributor affiliations and can help you with different areas of diving.
Tech diving or gear for working as a divemaster or instructor is quite different from recreational gear- if you want to spend the money, that is. There are wholesalers in both BK and Phuket, and you can get the best price there, but you better know what you want and what you are willing to pay!

Even though I am diving in Thailand as divemaster, I am based in Sweden, so I have a regulator that is "winter grade". this also comes in handy with deeper dives or if you plan to have people using your octopus under strenuous conditions- sometimes extra flow leads to regulator freeze at depth below 30m. I have a tech BCD that allows me diving doubles and has enough lift to lift me and 2 people if needed...
I have a full-body wetsuit both 3mm and 5mm - sometimes with multiple dives it is good to have the extra protection.
As you can see from this example, you have to know what you want!

If you feel you need personal guidance, ask around, or PM me, I am with a divecenter in Phuket.
Enjoy Thailand and best of luck with your gear!

Phuket is a much better option that Bangkok.

The biggest retailer in Thailand is 'Dive Supply'. They have a big shop/warehouse in Phuket (also a branch in Bangkok). I used to use them a lot, when I was in Koh Tao, because they had a wide range and good amounts of stock. They have a big showroom in Phuket, with many options that you can try on. Many of the dive shops would actually get their stock from them wholesale.

Contact details, online catalogue etc is at www.divesupply.com

Phuket Dive Supply - Head Office
88/5 Patak Road
Chalong Bay, Phuket
83100 Thailand
Tel : +66 (0) 76 383 414-6
Fax : +66 (0) 76 281 525
Email : sales@divesupply.com

Bangkok Dive Supply
457/4 Sri- Ayudhaya Road
Tung-Payathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
10400 Thailand

Tel : +66 (0) 23 544 815
Fax : +66 (0) 23 544 819
Email : contact@divesupplybkk.com

Hope that helps! :)

Every store has different distributor affiliations and can help you with different areas of diving.
Not correct, most divecenters will be able to help with all distributors.

The biggest retailer in Thailand is 'Dive Supply'. They have a big shop/warehouse in Phuket (also a branch in Bangkok). I used to use them a lot, when I was in Koh Tao, because they had a wide range and good amounts of stock. They have a big showroom in Phuket, with many options that you can try on.
Yes, Divesupply is the biggest wholesaler, but on Phuket are wholesale only, no retail.

Phuket is a much better option that Bangkok.
Agree with this. Check online some things out so you get a rough idea what you would like. Then while on Phuket go to a DC, maybe the one you booked your liveaboard trip with because obviously you like them, and ask them to help you with your choice, ask their recommendations, ask them to try out the things you're looking at, etc. Maybe even contact them beforehand, so they can make sure they have on stock what you're looking for.

I'm looking to buy a full set of gear. I'm curently living in Japan where diving/diving gear is crazy expensive ($80 for for rental for 2 dives). I found good prices online, but shipping will be a problem (expensive). And it would be nice to take a look at and try on the bcd/wet suit.

I'm doing a livaboard to the Similans this winter. I will have 1 day in Bangkok and 1 day on Phuket berfore the boat leaves. It would be nice to bite the bullet and get a complete set for myself.

Can anyone recommend good stores in either location.

Thanks.

Andy

It's a good idea however, 1 day in Bangkok or Phuket might not be enough to get the right gear.

I would suggest that you do some research on what you want ie, back inflate vs jacket or bp/w, which comp or fins.

I would get the fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit and bags as you can try it out on the spot.

For BCDs and regs I would still get either in Japan or online stores like scubastore.com (cus their prices are really good and shipping is affordable too).

Just make sure you get the right stiff like yoke not din valves n do more research.

SangP

Yes, Divesupply is the biggest wholesaler, but on Phuket are wholesale only, no retail.

Ah, thanks... I wasn't aware of that. The website shows a 'showroom' in Phuket, that looks far more retail than wholesale (if that makes sense??).

Ah, thanks... I wasn't aware of that. The website shows a 'showroom' in Phuket, that looks far more retail than wholesale (if that makes sense??).
Yes, that is because retailers can take their customers there to try out some of the things they may be interested in.

For BCDs and regs I would still get either in Japan or online stores like scubastore.com (cus their prices are really good and shipping is affordable too).
All in all one will pay more from these kind of stores than from buying it at a store on Phuket.

Hi There,

I agree, Phuket is a good option as you'll find all gear there. Another good address is Aqua Master in Chalong which is the distributor for Aqua Lung, also one of the largest distributor in Thailand.

By the way, they are running a promotion on regulators where they offer the free octopus, see on there website: aquamaster.net

From their website:
AQUA MASTER PHUKET (Head office)
43/30-32 Moo 5, T.Rawai, Muang, Phuket 83130 Thailand.

Tel: 076 281 227, 076 383 245
Fax: 076 281 073 (Sales)
Mobile: 081 893 5482 (Mig)
Email:sales@aquamaster.net

Good luck

There are a number of retail showrooms on Phuket. All4Diving and WaterWorld in Patong are large and open to the public; Aquamaster and Siam Diving Enterprises also have showrooms open to the public and are located in Chalong. There are some smaller distributors as well. Dive Supply has a retail outlet in Bangkok, though the Phuket store is wholesale only.

I would agree that it's best to have a pretty good idea what you want and how much you are willing to spend. It will save you some time in comparing prices and options once you arrive. If you know exactly what you want, you can ask a dive shop if they can obtain the merchandise for you so that you don't have to actually go around to find the showroom.

I'm glad that stevenl has jumped to pointing out the error of my ways.

I would love to see him get a pro tech wing for the price below demo-unit closeout from an aqualang affiliated supplier.

Prices in Thailand are at least 20 percent above scubastore, but then when you buy online you have the whole shipping customs thing and inability to rent-try-then-buy opton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom