Diving GBR & Coral Sea in Late August: What Should I Know / Bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You folks are terrific. This is EXACTLY the guidance I was looking for. Thanks muchly.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2015 at 02:26 PM ----------

I'm guessing I'll rent their BCD and wetsuit. I'm wondering whether I should just go ahead and use their fins, as well? I'm on a business trip to Australia, so bringing the dive equipment + photo equipment + "school clothes" is already a hassle. Maybe I should just take my prescription mask and regulator/octopus, and be done with it.

Opinions welcome, especially from you folks who've used their equipment.

It's funny, when I restarted diving 5-6 years ago, after a decade off, I rented everything except my mask for the first year or two, in Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. Never had a problem, and I loved being able to pack for a dive trip entirely on a little carry-on. But then I gradually got deeply into photography, rebuilt my own gear stack, started having to check luggage anyway. And now I've gotten so used to having my own stuff - especially my BCD with integrated weights - that I'm hesitant to rent.

I've used their gear - once. The airlines lost my luggage in transit, including the bag which had all my dive gear in it. I had my camera gear, dive computer, and mask in my carry-on, but lost everything else (permanently - they never found my bag). I got to Cairns, informed them at the Mike Ball office what had happened when I went to check in, and they arranged for me to hire everything I needed once I got on board a few hours later. Their hire gear isn't bad though, if not what I would ideally prefer. They have closed foot fins, which I'm not a fan of, but there's nothing wrong with them. BCD's were fine, even if it did mean resorting to a weight belt rather than pockets for a week. Their wetsuits were fine, and had options of shorties, full length, and long arms/short legs in different thicknesses from what I remember. Didn't really have any complaints about the hire gear :)

The airlines lost my luggage in transit, including the bag which had all my dive gear in it. I had my camera gear, dive computer, and mask in my carry-on, but lost everything else (permanently - they never found my bag)

That really sucks! :depressed: I hope you were insured. Doesn't help much at the time though does it.

Hey Randallr, definitely take your mask and regs as they would make the dive much more comfortable.

The gear is OK, and the BCDs are Aqualung Waves (basic but good mid range BCD and it does have weight pockets built in) and the wet suits are 5mm full length steamer, but you get a 3mm hoodie as well if you want. I agree with WetPup about the fins. OK, but I hate full foot too. Still, they do the job and save a lot of space in your luggage.

Oh, yes. I travel so much each year (both diving and non-diving) that I pay for an annual multi-trip policy. Was a bit of a hassle with the claim, and didn't get as much back as I had anticipated, but I wasn't left entirely penniless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom