Diving from a Zodiac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you please post a picture or two?

I looked through my photos. Unfortunately I don't have a good one of just the stern but here are a few that show the area.

Here you can see the aft end. We step up on the port side of the motor and can pull ourselves up with motor housing, bars and pontoon grips.

bOvL6D.jpg

These show the inside port seat that folds down (where the tank is sitting) that we board through.

3rLcsg.jpg

bkMNwU.jpg

Here is me about 15 years ago standing on the anti-cavitation plate of the motor at the location where the seat folds down and we board.

8JAvoR.jpg

Hope that helps

Hello All,
We're getting a little old (both 63) for beach diving here in Monterey, and are looking at buying a Zodiac. We're both experienced divers and have dove out of Zodiac on numerous dive trips, but have never owned one. So we're looking for recommendations and basic tips on ownership.
What size (Length and Beam) would you recommend for two or three divers?
Outboard motor HP?
Type and size of anchor, considering we would all be in the water at the same time.
Also recommendations on ladder a (The ladders at West Marine looked really flimsy), GPS, Radio?
We'll mostly be diving Monterey Bay but will occasionally dive the north coast. And maybe even some free diving if Abalone season ever reopens.
Thanks in Advance for your tips and recos.

Jesse
I used to have a 14’ zodiac 35 hp outboard can plane with 4 people and gear. Used it at Newport rhode isl and key largo reefs

This is how I dived for many years. No anti-cavitation plate. You handed up your gear and weights then kicked up while a mate grabbed your hands and flopped you onto the boat. I would rather sit next to an expert in bitcoin on a transatlantic flight expounding his knowledge than do this again.

1280px-On_the_way_to_a_dive_off_Cape_Town_PA312178.jpg

(Pic by By Peter Southwood)

This is how I dived for many years. No anti-cavitation plate. You handed up your gear and weights then kicked up while a mate grabbed your hands and flopped you onto the boat. I would rather sit next to an expert in bitcoin on a transatlantic flight expounding his knowledge than do this
This is how I dived for many years. No anti-cavitation plate. You handed up your gear and weights then kicked up while a mate grabbed your hands and flopped you onto the boat. I would rather sit next to an expert in bitcoin on a transatlantic flight expounding his knowledge than do this again
You hafta use science. That boat can hold a lot of weight, so put a helium tank on it. Then, collect everyone's SMBs, tie them to your gear in the water (securing your octopus so it doesn't snag on something), fill them with helium, and use the lift to help you get your gear out of the water. Hydrogen gives better lift, and could be good for signalling in an emergency, but might not be the best thing overall. You can fill your dry suit with helium too. Not with hydrogen.

You hafta use science. That boat can hold a lot of weight, so put a helium tank on it. Then, collect everyone's SMBs, tie them to your gear in the water (securing your octopus so it doesn't snag on something), fill them with helium, and use the lift to help you get your gear out of the water. Hydrogen gives better lift, and could be good for signalling in an emergency, but might not be the best thing overall. You can fill your dry suit with helium too. Not with hydrogen.

Are you an expert in Bitcoin too?

I use an Achilles 16 ft soft bottom inflatable (SU-16) for fishing and diving Monterey and the north coast - it's great. I don't know how generalizable my experience is, but it's a 36 year old hypalon hull and there's not a lifted tube seam or transom fabric edge anywhere. I've had both hypalon and PVC Zodiacs that didn't last so long. Care is a big part of that no doubt, but build quality is also important.

The 40HP motor is barely adequate though - it might be enough for a RIB, but not really for the flat bottom style. When loaded beyond say 500 lbs of passenger and gear, it requires some contortions and patience to get up on plane, and I use the smallest pitch prop. That gives a max 15 knots top speed. 50HP or 60HP would be better. Interior room is plenty for 3 divers. I've launched at Monterey Harbor, and run around to the back of Carmel Bay with two divers and four tanks. That's a long slog in any kind of small boat, but doubly so in an inflatable.

The light weight of the boat - about 400# plus another 200# for the motor - is a plus for the launch ramp and handling out of the water. A RIB would weigh more, but have much better hydrodynamics. You won't be zipping to and from dive sites in a loaded flat bottom boat on any but the flattest days. If you opt for the non-RIB, compare tube diameters in whatever size you're looking at - bigger tubes are drier riding. Having owned a couple of 14 foot flat bottom inflatables, you can dive 2 or even 3 but that is loaded down. Fine for short trips.

If you intend to dive Pt. Lobos from Whaler's Cove, I think you have to stay under 16 ft.

I haven't solved the boarding ladder need - also haven't tried the one linked above. With fins it isn't that hard to launch up and wiggle over the tube, but it can be awkward for some people. The problem with ladders is that anything not rigid and immobile just pivots under the boat when you put weight on it. I use a simple rope with small step (short length of PVC pipe) on one side of the boat, and a thick rope strung between points at the front and rear of the boat, on the other. That one works better and you can keep your fins on - it has a name in the sailing world, but I don't recall it now in my old age. With either you can play with overall length to get some boarding utility. You won't be climbing in wearing your gear.

I assume you are thinking inflatable because of size, weight, tow vehicle, and cost factors. A standard mid-20's size fiberglass or aluminum boat would be a better choice otherwise.

I believe @Stoo has a Zodiac. He uses it up on Georgian Bay/Lake Huron, but can still help.

Ya that's me. I've been diving out of inflatables since the late 80s. My collection, in order went like this:

1) 13' Zodiac GT with 25 HP.
Pros: cheap, easy to roll up, and stow away. Aluminum floor. Hypalon. Good for maybe 2 rec divers and a tender, but you can take 4 rec divers assuming they have their suits up. Goes MILES on 5 gallons of gas. Best trailered, but can be rolled up and tossed into a pickup or box trailer. Bugger in chop, but a great little boat.

2) 14' Zodiac Futura with 40 GP. Went like a cat with it's tail on fire. Good for 4 rec divers and a tender. Super quick and the Futura hull (Small "speed tubes" under main tubes) helped with the chop. Still really good on gas. Best trailered. A 40 isn't light.

3) 16' Zodiac Hurricane prototype with 90 HP. Awesome little boat. Centre console to sit on, WAY more comfy. Pretty fast and much better in a chop. Two rec divers and a tender (space lost to centre console.) Rigid fiberglass Hull, hypalon tubes. Must be trailered and most small SUVs could pull it.

4) 19'6" Zodiac Hurricane 590 RIB. This is a military commercial grade boat I acquired from a Police Marine Unit. Rigid hull, hypalon, 150 Yamaha, inboard fuel, self-righting gear. Kick ass boat in every way. 200 mile range, fast, goes through everything, comfortable. Sucks fuel, and if you're trailering much a V8 truck is best. (I used to use a Tahoe, now a 4Runner (5.2l v8 vs 3l v6) and it makes a difference. Boat, fuel and gear for two is about 5000 pounds.

At age 63, I'd likely be inclined to go back to a 14 ro 16' soft bottom, aluminum floor, large engine. This would be much easier to pull etc.

In terms of gear... VHF radio, 25watt, plus a handheld, GPS, compass, PDFs, DAN O2 kit, anchor, chain and line (anchor type determined by bottom substrate), dive flag on mast etc.

And I agree with others... a boat tender is a really good plan for many reasons. If you opt to not use one, then two anchors minimum, if not three, or shore tie, plus anchor.

My current ride:

Good Ship Verius_edited-1.jpg

The ladder I listed is the old design that I have and is at a very good price. The newer model can be seen here:
St. Croix Stainless Steel 3-Step Inflatable Boat Folding Ladder #103H

I hang lanyards with snaps from the boat to hang equipment and use a d-ring on the weightbelt so that can also be removed otherwise this 72 year old could not haul his ass out of the water.

Ya I have one of those ladders to be legal and it's helpful for a diver who has dumped all his gear. I just haul in, over the tubes, but it's an art, and many of my friends need a hand. I find it keeps the undesirables out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom