Diving + Face Frostbite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm diving down in 35 degree water. DUI 7mm hood covers my head, mask covers a good portion of the face but there's that small bit of exposed skin around the cheeks and mouth that get cold for a bit, then go numb to the point I don't feel it and am very comfortable.

The question posed to me is "Is frostbite a concern?" I don't remember hearing any diver suffering frostbite. Maybe that's when you get into the extremely cold diving. At what point do you have to consider wearing a full face mask?

After a quick review of some references, it appears that frostbite would not be a concern while in the water since it's not cold enough to cause ice crystal formation in the tissues.

Frostbite

35F degree water can definitely hurt and cause numbness, though! :shocked2:

I use a 1/8" neoprene "ice cap" underhood like I believe James (fdog) was referring to. It basically covers the entire head except the eyes, nose and edges of the lips. My mask seals on top of the ice cap and my eyes and nose are quite warm in the air pocket. Only the edges of the lips are slightly exposed.

I use the ice cap under my regular 7mm hood for temps below 55F. Even on long dives in the low-30's, I have no facial discomfort now. Since the lips have excellent blood flow and are only slightly exposed, they don't get very cold. No more numbness!

I highly recommend it! :)

See link and pic below for an example of an ice cap.

Dave C

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HendersonICECap

ICECap.jpg

Last edited:
double post

Last edited:
No papers, just pixels :wink:. First three are an ice dive on Lake Simcoe last year, the next three are Colpoy's Bay, Ontario, New Year's Day, 2010. No ice at that point, but still a cold day with a wind chill. We like to dive all year round up here.

Attachments

• first diver.jpg
    first diver.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 45
  • harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Ice diving 2009 013.jpg
    Ice diving 2009 013.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Jan 1 2010 Cedar Hill.jpg
    Jan 1 2010 Cedar Hill.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Canadian diving  at its best.jpg
    Canadian diving at its best.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 41
  • jan 1 2010 pre-dive.jpg
    jan 1 2010 pre-dive.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 43
Think I got it on my hands once. Redness that lingered for a few weeks. Was trying new gloves that may have been a bit loose. Never on the exposed part of the face, though. Just as described--very cold at first then comfortabl(ly numb?). That's in salt water low to mid 30s F.

If you dive in a full face mask like the AGA that I use you will never have cold lips or cheeks again. With a traditional mask and reg I have been so clod that I have had trouble closing around the reg and thought it was beathing wet. I just couldn't get a good seal. No more problem!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom