Diving + Face Frostbite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

Not really sure where to post this. As I've been getting into more local diving/drysuit diving, I was asked a question that I don't really have an answer to and I'd really like to know.

I'm diving down in 35 degree water. DUI 7mm hood covers my head, mask covers a good portion of the face but there's that small bit of exposed skin around the cheeks and mouth that get cold for a bit, then go numb to the point I don't feel it and am very comfortable.

The question posed to me is "Is frostbite a concern?" I don't remember hearing any diver suffering frostbite. Maybe that's when you get into the extremely cold diving. At what point do you have to consider wearing a full face mask?

Thanks in advance guys! I eagerly await your responses!

-Jim

At or below 0 °C (32 °F), blood vessels close to the skin start to constrict. The same response may also be a result of exposure to high winds. This constriction helps to preserve core body temperature. In extreme cold, or when the body is exposed to cold for long periods, this protective strategy can reduce blood flow in some areas of the body to dangerously low levels. This lack of blood leads to the eventual freezing and death of skin tissue in the affected areas. There are three stages of frostbite. Each of these stages has varying degrees of pain.

I routinely dive in 39 to 42 degree F water, with runtimes (time under water) of 70-85 minutes. I haven't gotten frostbite yet.

The lips and cheeks are heavily vascularized, and thus, although they become numb from the cold, will not become chilled enough to cause damage.

For extremely cold water (32 degrees F), many divers will use a thin neoprene face guard that covers these areas, and looks disturbingly like something from a bondage horror film.

All the best, James

I'm pretty sure you can't get cold enough under water to get frostbitten. That is normally something that happens in extreme cold, like 25 degrees below freezing from wind chill, or for LONG periods of time in the cold. Fresh water doesn't typically get any colder than 36 degrees F or so. Much colder than 36 degrees, and it isn't water anymore.

Frost bite is frozen skin, and since water expands when it freezes, it damages your cells.

Since you are above freezing, your skin won't freeze. Regs freeze for different reasons. You should be fine.

Frost bite is frozen skin, and since water expands when it freezes, it damages your cells.

Since you are above freezing, your skin won't freeze. Regs freeze for different reasons. You should be fine.

+1 what he said

Hey guys,

Not really sure where to post this. As I've been getting into more local diving/drysuit diving, I was asked a question that I don't really have an answer to and I'd really like to know.

I'm diving down in 35 degree water. DUI 7mm hood covers my head, mask covers a good portion of the face but there's that small bit of exposed skin around the cheeks and mouth that get cold for a bit, then go numb to the point I don't feel it and am very comfortable.

Your face might get numb or it might hurt like hell, (and might not even be healthy for you) but as far as I know, actual frostbite is impossible in fresh water, since you freeze at a slightly lower temperature than fresh water.

Terry

you're smrt

While being under very cold water, even 32 F freshwater for runtimes of 45 min is extremely unlikely to give you frostbite, there's another component: windchill on the surface.

The last ice dive I did, we had 1C water temperatures, -8C air temperatures and a windchill of -12. It's above the water that's the concern, especially at the end of a dive on a windy day. Setting up for an ice dive with cutting the hole, tenders and lines, closing the hole, can be a several hour endeavour, enough time for frostbite on a cold and windy day if you're not aware and don't cover exposed skin.

Canada's Wind Chill Index - Environment Canada
"The wind chill is expressed in temperature-like units, but because it is not the actual air temperature, it is given without the degree sign. For example, if the outside temperature is -10° C and the wind chill is -20, it means that your face will feel as cold as it would on a calm day when the temperature is -20°C.

Wind chill causes objects to cool to air temperature more rapidly than they would in calm wind conditions.Wind chill only affects objects that are warmer than the actual air temperature. Think of a bowl of soup - you can blow on it and cool it to room temperature, but you can't make it any colder than that.

Wind chill causes open water to freeze more quickly. Periods of high wind chill will boost home heating costs and reduce the effectiveness of automobile block heaters. Frostbite becomes an increasing threat to humans and animals.Wet skin or wet clothing in direct contact with skin increases the effective wind chill. "

While being under very cold water, even 32 F freshwater for runtimes of 45 min is extremely unlikely to give you frostbite, there's another component: windchill on the surface.

The last ice dive I did, we had 1C water temperatures, -8C air temperatures and a windchill of -12. It's above the water that's the concern, especially at the end of a dive on a windy day. Setting up for an ice dive with cutting the hole, tenders and lines, closing the hole, can be a several hour endeavour, enough time for frostbite on a cold and windy day if you're not aware and don't cover exposed skin.

"The wind chill is expressed in temperature-like units, but because it is not the actual air temperature, it is given without the degree sign. For example, if the outside temperature is -10° C and the wind chill is -20, it means that your face will feel as cold as it would on a calm day when the temperature is -20°C.

Wind chill causes objects to cool to air temperature more rapidly than they would in calm wind conditions.Wind chill only affects objects that are warmer than the actual air temperature. Think of a bowl of soup - you can blow on it and cool it to room temperature, but you can't make it any colder than that.

Wind chill causes open water to freeze more quickly. Periods of high wind chill will boost home heating costs and reduce the effectiveness of automobile block heaters. Frostbite becomes an increasing threat to humans and animals.Wet skin or wet clothing in direct contact with skin increases the effective wind chill. "

I'd listen to the guy from Canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom