Diving Experiments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MontereyDiver-Chris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For a final project in my Biology class we have to conduct a biology related experiment that has not been completed before and that the anwser to is not readily avalible. I would like to do somthing related to moneterey bay biology with diving but I havn't been able to come up with many do-able ideas. Does anyone have some sugestions on what our group could do?

Here are two:

• Measure lawn fertilizer runoff into the bay--a large source of pollution rarely considered...then show parts per million toxicity levels and effects on marine life
  • Measure e-coli and other indicators of human waste in and around marinas where illegal dumping is possible--showcase safe and dangerous levels for humans and for marine life

Just curious, what grade level is this project for and what's your timeline till it has to be presented? That could greatly affect what projects you could undertake.
Even if you're in highschool, there are animal collection permits that are required and certain guidelines that need to be followed if experimenting with animals; even invertebrates.

Some thoughts on my mind right now:
Hermit crab mobility-weight ratio between their body size and weight VS shell size and weight.
See what the maximum ratio is where a hermit crab would have too heavy a shell to recover from a roll over (when they get rolled so their shell opening is facing up)

Minimum number of legs required for a Kelp crab to scale kelp. Also is leg placement important?
(You may have some trouble keeping this humane)

Another easier logistical one would be marine fouling. Lower or place several different types of "substrate" such as tile, sand paper, rubber, metal, fiberglass (think boats) etc. off a wharf and see what types of things grow or recruit on those pieces of items, and also relate it to time.

I have a three month time period, our group is a AP high school group. I would be happier of I could do more of an observation experiment and less of a collecting experiment because that would slow us down because of the required permits.

Would this seem workable: Movement of marine life from underwater rock walls to kelp forests as the based on the time of year. For this I would be focused on increase of kelp as spring and summer start to come around. Any thoughts?

Edit: I was wondering about doing work in or with the monterey bay aquarium but it dosn't look like they allow short term research.

The substrate plates set around a wharf or somewhere stable underwater would require no collecting permits. Might even be able to sweet talk Hopkins Marine Station to allow you in so no rec divers accidentally decide to play clean up. That would of course all depend on your diving credentials and your diving team as well.

The animal movement idea sounds good, but it relies heavily on finding a stable kelp forest with little human interaction. Unless you want to deal with that variable. Also you would need to tag your animals to be able to identify and be sure it was actually the same individual. Then you would need to find them. Without that, you can't be sure if that animal came from the rock wall at all or not.
I believe there is a permit requirement for that, because you would technically have to "take" an animal to tag them.

On the other hand, if you just want to do a density comparison of animals found on kelp and animals found on rock walls with relation to the time of the season, that would work out perfectly. No tagging, just observation. So no permits required.
You could then tie in your finds for further hypothesizes; like animal movement.

For that thought, you should take data on both the kelp and rock wall for both seasons. Keep in mind it doesn't have to be the same kelp area. Don't be too specific about your area, if the substrate is similar enough to be considered the same habitat, you'll be able to collect a lot of needed data. If you focus just on one site and one particular location on that site, that tends to lead to a low data collection and ultimately an inconclusive find. (Learned that the hard way on a field quarter).

And I wouldn't knock the MBA idea at all. They're very accommodating to school groups and projects. They do let school groups in for free after all. Intern positions also last for 3 months minimum, so I wouldn't consider your time span too short. :wink:
Give them a ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom