Diving equipment appraisal experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with Scuba gear appraisals is there is at least a factor of two difference depending on whether you are buying or selling. Why don't you let one party provide the appraisal and let the other party decide who's pile it goes in.

It would be hard to believe that Joel doesn't know how to objectively evaluate dive gear. He has been around it since the beginning, runs a business and has a reputation for being a solid guy. I have only done a little bit of business thru his online TDL shop, but was always treated fairly and promptly.
Unless he has some reason to not be objective with you, seems unlikely he'd be far off the mark.
But, I agree with all the comments on this being an awfully hard thing to make any substantive statement on without knowing a lot of the specifics.
Good luck and sorry to hear of your whoa's. I never thought I'd have to worry about my gear being part of a custody hearing. Can you get the jewelry, china and silverware valued?

Hey Jim,

I grew up in Bridgeville. I didn't know there were any divers there. There sure wasn't when I left. I hope you're not diving in those ponds out past the Houston exit along side of I-79. That's where I used to go to cut school, drink beer, and go swimming.

Paul

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

Well then. Would anyone like to buy my 2007 Megalodon CCR Apecs 2.7 for the appraised resell value of $9,500? I think you probably won't because you can buy a new one from ISC for $8,875. How about my used custom cut Otter drysuit and used underwear for $1500? Or maybe my used Diverite 2500s for $290 each, or my used Zeagle Flathead IVs for $375 apiece?

Well then. Would anyone like to buy my 2007 Megalodon CCR Apecs 2.7 for the appraised resell value of $9,500? I think you probably won't because you can buy a new one from ISC for $8,875. How about my used custom cut Otter drysuit and used underwear for $1500? Or maybe my used Diverite 2500s for $290 each, or my used Zeagle Flathead IVs for $375 apiece?

The appropriate response to that appraisal is..."Congratulations Sweetie, the dive gear is yours! Hope you enjoy it!"

Hey Jim,

I grew up in Bridgeville. I didn't know there were any divers there. There sure wasn't when I left. I hope you're not diving in those ponds out past the Houston exit along side of I-79. That's where I used to go to cut school, drink beer, and go swimming.

Paul

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

Replacement cost instead of current value perhaps? Appraisals, like many things in life, depend on how the question is asked.

The appropriate response to that appraisal is..."Congratulations Sweetie, the dive gear is yours! Hope you enjoy it!"

Been there and wish I had done that (car I restored, not SCUBA gear)

Your best advice was given to you on another forum (I've seen your question on three different forums now...). If you don't like the appraisal that was done, get your own. That's how it works. All appraisals will lean toward satisfying the client, so be a client.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Go get your own if you don't like Joel's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom