diving >EANx40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are times when a recreational diver uses tanks with >EAN40. On recreational semi-closed rebreather dives I have used EAN60 tanks for the diluent, which makes the MOD fairly shallow but is still recreational diving. With a large enough diluent bottle you could stay down to the NDL's, and I believe the first meaningful National Geo footage of bait-ball predation was captured by that kind of diving. They were cold, tired, thirsty and hungry, but they were also stoked! :D

I have used custom blends over 40% for depths in the 70fsw range to obtain max BT's during coral spawns. Pretty neat doing 1+ hour dives in 70+fsw. The main reason the basic EANx class is limited to 40% is due to equipment needing to cleaned for oxygen service when greater than 40 % is used. Take the classes and learn to use it safely and maximize the benefits.

I've done a dive in the pool with 100% for 45 mins once. Forgot to collect my tanks and the 100% O2 was all i had available for pool training.

The most common mixes you will find are 32% and 36%. Others are available and used for differnet purposes these are just the two most common (other than 21% LOL).

I actually did a dive this summer with a nitrox mix of 82% .( max depth 23')
No use in dumping a good tank $$$
They charge the same to dump a full tank and fill as an empty one.
Yes it is my deco tank

Yeah, but it might be noted that you would have to go pretty far out or bring a shovel with you to go any deeper than the stated depth in Venice.

The most common mixes you will find are 32% and 36%. Others are available and used for differnet purposes these are just the two most common (other than 21% LOL).

Not always true.
Alot of diving here is in the 24-27% range.
Just good mixes for the depths incurred at most sites here locally.
Too of a PO2 can be solved during deco.
But too high of a PO2 is a hospital/morgue issue.

There are also issues with gear when the oxygen percentage is above 40%. I can't quote studies or industry standards, but generally your gear must be "oxygen cleaned" if you are using mixtures above 40%. I believe the CGA (Compressed Gas Association) requires "oxygen cleaned" equipment above 40%. Isn't NOAA's requirement 23%??? Am I correct?

Anyway, the "oxygen cleaning" process removes all combustable hydrocarbons from the tanks, hoses, manifolds, regulators, etc. The "oxygen cleaned" equipment is not compatible with your typical dive shop's air fills due to contamination concerns.

again, thanks all for the responses..

There are also issues with gear when the oxygen percentage is above 40%. I can't quote studies or industry standards, but generally your gear must be "oxygen cleaned" if you are using mixtures above 40%. I believe the CGA (Compressed Gas Association) requires "oxygen cleaned" equipment above 40%. Isn't NOAA's requirement 23%??? Am I correct?

Anyway, the "oxygen cleaning" process removes all combustable hydrocarbons from the tanks, hoses, manifolds, regulators, etc. The "oxygen cleaned" equipment is not compatible with your typical dive shop's air fills due to contamination concerns.

about this matter, ive read the previous threads on the subject -id rather this thread not go that direction due to flame wars erupting...no pun intended.

I haven't seen a diver shop here for ages that isn't doubled or triple filtered as standard so every one ive seen is suitable for "clean" air.

Only compressors ive seen that i wouldn't trust my tanks to are ones on some day boats.

Back
Top Bottom