diving during a cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am not sure where to ask this question so here goes.

My wife and I recently returned from a week in cozumel. I did 2 to three dives every day, morning boat dives and evening shore dives (except before flying) and would have done more if I could have. I dive every chance I get at home also. My wife dives also but not as much as me.

I am already planning our next dive trip. Here's the problem. My wife has talked to people who say they are divers but dive once or twice a year when they go on vacation. They have convinced her a cruise is better than a dive trip and you can dive when you get in port.

Here is my problem, I would rather be on a small boat each day heading to a reef rather than spending days sitting on a moving city heading to tourist trap shops and drinking and eating myself to sleep each night.

Is there any decent diving to be had from a cruise ship, is there even enough time when in port? I am very particular about my gear and do not use a poodle jacket or any one else's regulator. is it worthwhile to take my own gear? Am I doomed to suffer through this or can I get my dive fix from a cruise ship?

Thanks for your input.

I did it last year. It is easy and you can do a two tank dive in port. Just plan ahead and make reservations before you go. The benefit of diving on a cruise is you can hit a lot of different locations while still sleeping in the same place. For example, my family's last cruise had ports in Roatan, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. 3 awesome locations. There's room in your stateroom to bring your gear as well.

Everyone will have their personal preference, but I love cruises and plan to keep doing a mixture of dedicated dive trips as well as cruises. My next Caribbean cruise is next January. I'm calling it my Scuba Scuba Scuba Scuba cruise because there will be four ports and all have amazing diving (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan).

There is a stereotype about cruising which I have found to be completely false. They are not just for the newlywed and nearly dead :shakehead:

You don't have to eat yourself into a coma, in fact I generally stay the same weight or even lose a pound or two during a 7 night cruise.

The reasons I like cruises:
I get to sleep in the same place, but wake up on a different island every day.
Good food that I don't have to cook.
Decent entertainment and activities when you're not in port.
Lodging and food included for one price that is generally less than hotel & restaurants on land.
The last day of the cruise (at least the ones I go on) is a day at sea so you have a nice day on the ship for your no-fly time.

I think I'm going to enjoy long weekends for dive trips, but I think spending an entire week on one island would end up being boring, but that's just me.

I'd advise coordinating your own dives in advance and not do it through the ship. I've seen some rather horrific divers on ship organized dives and they seem to consume virtually all of your time in port. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of being placed on the same trip as the divers being certified from the ship. Considering that those people have only experienced a 5' deep pool, their choice of sites might not be ideal for more experienced divers.

I'd advise coordinating your own dives in advance and not do it through the ship. I've seen some rather horrific divers on ship organized dives and they seem to consume virtually all of your time in port. Otherwise, you stand a good chance of being placed on the same trip as the divers being certified from the ship. Considering that those people have only experienced a 5' deep pool, their choice of sites might not be ideal for more experienced divers.

fwiw, I did my first two OW dives and got my Scuba Diver cert on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I was in the class with one other person and the two of us did our OW dives with our instructor and nobody else. The scuba excursion from the ship was totally separate.

Oh, and depending on the port I would either book the dives on my own, or through the ship. That's something else that depends a lot on personal opinions and whether you trust a dive op to get you back to the ship on time.

I agree with Texaskaren68.

We mix week long stays with cruising. My wife loves to cruise and I've learned to, for many of the same reasons TK68 said. I've never booked diving through any of the ships, I always do my own research and booking. SB is a major source for dive ops reviews or at least will get you started.

Cruising is not bad if you do it right. Then again, a week long stay on St. Maarten, or Aruba, somewhere else is not bad either.

I have been on some great dives during cruises. It is ideal if the rest of the family are not divers and if you don't want to dive every day. Do your research ahead of time and book your dives ahead of the cruise with an operator independent of the ship. It is usually much cheaper and the boat will probably be less crowded. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the ship as the ship will not wait on you if you have not booked with the cruise dive op. I've never encountered a problem and the dive ops. rely on internet business. If they strand customers posts on Scuba Board and other sites will kill their business. Its always great to return to the ship following a dive day to enjoy a great meal and a relaxing evening. Enjoy!

The dive ops in cruise ship ports of call need cruise ship patrons to fill their boats. they know when the ships come and go and plan their day around yours (my experience).

Only bad part is no night dives. :( I've told people before, if you've been to Cozumel but never for a night dive, GO BACK NOW! Same thing for topside Key West.

I have done many cruise ships and combined diving into them. I agree with you whole hartedly with you and your choise delema. If your wife will join you , No problem... If your wife wont join you but can shop alone. No problem. If she cant PROBLEM. Most of the tourest traps are just that. I want to do things i cant do at home That includes SHOPPING for refridgerator magnets at 40% off the 1.50 price. If at this point you are still No problem then. Do some reserch on the orts you will be visiting and let your email do the walking for you. I have done jamacha, cayman that way. Coz is another story i always used Sand Dollar. They had a contract with the cruise lines. Another thing to look for is whether the ship ties up on land or moors out. BECAUSE the dive shop has to be able to pick you up and deliver you back to ythe ship by sailing time. You dont want to miss your departure. True all you need is you passport to catch up with the ship on some airlines however your passport is probably in your stateroom. Many excursions you can book online prior to conus departure.

Equipment. i take everything but tank and weight. HAVE A LOG BOOK OR A MASTER DIVER CARD.

As matters of the heart goes, LIKE THE GECO i am not qualified. However experience has shown me that with out diving on a cuise trip., you can get a double fix when you get back and be all chipper the next day. Recovery from lack of wife may take longer and cost youmore in the end. No pun intended.

I am not sure where to ask this question so here goes.

My wife and I recently returned from a week in cozumel. I did 2 to three dives every day, morning boat dives and evening shore dives (except before flying) and would have done more if I could have. I dive every chance I get at home also. My wife dives also but not as much as me.

I am already planning our next dive trip. Here's the problem. My wife has talked to people who say they are divers but dive once or twice a year when they go on vacation. They have convinced her a cruise is better than a dive trip and you can dive when you get in port.

Here is my problem, I would rather be on a small boat each day heading to a reef rather than spending days sitting on a moving city heading to tourist trap shops and drinking and eating myself to sleep each night.

Is there any decent diving to be had from a cruise ship, is there even enough time when in port? I am very particular about my gear and do not use a poodle jacket or any one else's regulator. is it worthwhile to take my own gear? Am I doomed to suffer through this or can I get my dive fix from a cruise ship?

Thanks for your input.

I agree with this and have done the cruise and dive myself.... I setup all my dives as we were heading to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel... Been to Roatan so Belize and Coz were the main events since we thought of going to both but thought a cheap cruise or more like a cruise on the cheap, inside cabin but I found out that I love how dark it gets in those rooms (unforeseen perk :D) Booked the cruise dive for Belize since it was a short day and tenders taking the passengers in; ship's dive had the dive boats picking up at the ship itself and with the time crunch, this is how we went... Set up dives for Coz and Roatan and both went off without a hitch...

Problem was Belize... Carnival changed its port of call due to internal politics (tenders and carnival had issues over money) We never went to Belize... Grand Cayman was the new port so be sure when setting up these dives that you have that "get out of Jail free pass" for such events...

We did this once but never again... Time was cut short in both Roatan and Coz but we did get two dives in each port...

Also, If you do this, bring all the gear you want to use... We brought all but weights and tanks... same as a boat dive!

Best of luck and hope it works out well for you...

lee

PS This was not to disparage those who like these type of trips but as life is, we are all different...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom