Diving Dry Tortugas from Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for a day trip out of Key West to dive the Dry Tortugas. I've found the Playmate liveaboard, but it's a several night trip. And I've been on the Fast Cat, etc., for a day trip to snorkle at the fort. But are there any actual scuba trips that leave and come back the same day?

Thanks,
TT

it's too far to run for a scheduled day trip to run and be profitable. You might find someone that would charter you a 6 pack, but it's still a lot to do in one day.

also if the weather gets rough, then it can be a rough ride back in or out. To do it as a day trip would have to be done mostly under good conditions.

the Ultimate Getaway does it also out of Ft Myers, but as a live aboard.

too far, 65 miles

deeper thoughts:
too far, 65 miles

But it isn't. The Fast Cat leaves at 8am and returns at 5pm, and you're on the island for 3-4 hours. If I could just find a boat like that which went to a dive site instead of an island, then that would be perfect.

i know we have been there but nobody does it, me and the wife paid i think 130 a piece for the island/snorkeling trip

Last time I was down at the Dry Tortugas (December 2005), there was no scuba diving allowed...but you can snorkel. I took the Yankee Freedom out there.

waterbearer:
Last time I was down at the Dry Tortugas (December 2005), there was no scuba diving allowed...but you can snorkel. I took the Yankee Freedom out there.

You can dive there. There is no rule against it in the park.

THe Yankee Freedom just doesn't allow it on their trips. They only sell it as a snorkle trip. They don't want people bringing their scuba gear/weights/tanks etc on their boat. I'm sure it's related to their insurance coverage also.

But you can dive all you want in the park. You just have to do it on another charter or private boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom