Diving dry in the tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Split from yet another BP/W vs Jacket thread
now that I'm diving dry in warm water, I really don't need that any more.

This was a useful thread but now it is going to Hades. I think "now that we are diving dry in warm water" this thread has come to a useful end. About five people in the entire world do this, one just posted, I met two in Florida and dove with them, super nice people, and maybe a couple more.

IMG_1011_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised, with the Fusion, if we don't see more people diving dry in warm water!

I did not mean to imply, with my post, that the need to adjust a hog harness for different diving conditions could be ignored because one should dive dry in all conditions. Although it's awfully nice to do . . .

now that I'm diving dry in warm water, I really don't need that any more.

This was a useful thread but now it is going to Hades. I think "now that we are diving dry in warm water" this thread has come to a useful end. About five people in the entire world do this, one just posted, I met two in Florida and dove with them, the head honcho himself and his friend, super nice people, and maybe a couple more.

You are neither the OP or a moderator. What gives? :confused:

Just opinionated, I'd say. I doubt DUI came out with their line of 30/30 Tropical suits for a market of five people. I'm strongly considering one myself.

I know the A group and their B group wannabees show up to stomp those who disagree into submission, you will forgive me I tell you to :eyebrow:. I ain't running for class president here since you point it out. It is ridiculous to dive a dry suit in warm water. My opinion. :rofl3:

Like I said, when we are talking about the ridiculous, the merits of the discussion are lost and the thread has run it's course.

"Opinionated," look in the mirror Mr. BP/wing.

You consider a dry suit purchase for tropical diving, I think I will get a travel BC jacket for tropical diving. Who will look more ridiculous in 87 degree water and 98 degree air temps?

Answer--not me.

N

Now we are into wearing dry suits in 90 degree water, so you don't have to adjust the BP/w harness?

Possibly, but more likely to mitigate long exposures in a cave or on deco, or to provide redundant buoyancy. In my case, I'm older and fairly thin, and a week on a liveaboard doing five dives a day has me chilled after a few days.

Perhaps add an Al 30 and some high power lights for those 30' reef dives down in south Florida. I mean honestly, you would look ridiculous diving a dry suit in the tropics without it.

:)

I know the A group and their B group wannabees show up to stomp those who disagree into submission, you will forgive me I tell you to :eyebrow:. I ain't running for class president here since you point it out. It is ridiculous to dive a dry suit in warm water. My opinion. :rofl3:

Like I said, when we are talking about the ridiculous, the merits of the discussion are lost and the thread has run it's course.

"Opinionated," look in the mirror Mr. BP/wing.

You consider a dry suit purchase for tropical diving, I think I will get a travel BC jacket for tropical diving. Who will look more ridiculous in 87 degree water and 98 degree air temps?

Answer--not me.

N

To me the joy of warm water diving is minimilistic, two minutes to gear up and you're in the water.

I dove dry in the Red Sea, in 81 degree water, and I LOVED it. These were almost all recreational dives. I got in the water warm, and I got out WARM. No shivering when the wind hit me. I watched my friends (and husband) get out of the water and hurry to get out of their wet suits, and wrap in towels, and head for the galley for hot drinks. Me? I unzipped my suit, stepped out of it, pulled off my fleece undergarments, and stood there in my shorts and T-shirt and felt wonderful.

I have ALWAYS been cold getting back on the boat. Most of the people I watch are cold on the boat, even if they felt fine in the water. I think people drastically underestimate the amount of heat they lose diving, even if they don't feel uncomfortable underwater. I have found the solution for me: reduce the heat lost IN the water, and you don't feel cold OUT of the water.

I own a great, light, comfortable dry suit. Why not dive dry?

90 degree water, I might reconsider. I've never seen that outside of a hot tub, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom