Diving Dry? Balance your Rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The recent death of a scubaboard member (Link) while trying to adjust to a new drysuit prompted this post.

Whether new to drysuits or not, it's crucial to "balance" your rig.

A few questions based on that discussion.

- Do you know what it means if the rig is balanced?
- Are you aware of the risks if your BCD can't hold you up on the surface without additional positive buoyancy from the suit?
- Are you aware of how much ditchable (and unditchable) weight you have and are you able to deploy it easily?
- Are you aware of how much ballast (weights) you need and how to make "stepwise" adjustments when adjusting things like undergarments?

I guess you can say that the same applies to wearing a wetsuit but in a drysuit the "gotchas" might not be as obvious.

Please discuss.

R..

For people who haven't read that book can you give us a 1/2 page cliff notes synopsis of the main points?

R..

A balanced rig is one that, when empty is a near neutral as possible, and when full you can swim to the surface.

We need to be able to swim a FULL rig to the surface without any air in the BC.....at 15ft there should be little to no air in the BC. (ie being properly weighted)

BTW, there has been plenty of talk about ditching weights and why it isn't stressed more......well lets go to this. Why isn't proper weighting taught.....and why aren't people taught that they need to change their weighting in different environments, gear, etc.

I've seen sooooooo many new divers over-weighted its ridiculous.....and no need for it.......that seems like a good starting point for me.

So lets take this one step further.

A 7mm wetsuit will lose about 10lbs of buoyancy in around 70-80ft of water. That is now 10lbs of just dead weight you need to be able to swim up which can be very difficult if you had a complete wing failure at the beginning of a dive......now if you ditch that weight, as you come to the surface, your wetsuit will expand and gain back those lbs of buoyancy essentially turning you into a meat missile as you get close to the surface. Not a desirable situation. A drysuit, IMO is better in this scenario.

If you look at dives where a thinner wetsuit can be used, doesn't compress as much at depth so you don't lose that buoyancy like in the 7mm because you didnt have it in the first place. So if you wear an alu tank that is positively buoyant at the end of the dive, you need a few lbs to offset that. If you dive steel that ends negatively buoyant, you may not need any weight. So now here comes the important part....with the alu, at the very beginning of the dive, if you have an issue, you can drop a weight and away you go....if you have steel then you have no ditchable weight then you MUST be able to swim the entire rig up. In this case, Alu tank may be a better choice unless you have the ability to swim the steel to the surface with no air in the BC.

At the end of the day, if you can swim your rig to the surface with full tanks and all the weight still on you, then your rig is balanced. If its too heavy, you better have enough ditchable weight to make it swimmable to the surface.

For what its worth, I have no ditchable weight on my sidemount rig. I wear a drysuit with undies, and 2 hp100 tanks. I can swim this rig from 100ft to the surface with an empty wing and squeezed drysuit.

If I am diving it in a thin wetsuit, I use only alu tanks....so again, I can swim it to the surface with an empty wing.

I have had wing failures where I needed to be able to do this.

In a drysuit, you should be wearing enough lead that you can descend with an empty suit. Ergo, your net buoyancy should be near 0 (ie drysuit with undies is +7, lead is -7)

Then comes the rig, enough lead, that with a near empty tank, and empty wing, it is neutral.

At this point, you are weighted properly and all the BC needs to do is be able to compensate for the change in buoyancy of gas in the tank from the first of the dive to the end of the dive, and the change in buoyancy of your exposure protection.

If you did all this, you should never have a bc so full that you also need the DS to have air in to to compensate for all weight you have on you. if you do, you are grossly overweighted.

The other part of a balanced rig is on the surface. Your wing needs to be able to float everything. You need to take everything negative and positive and folate it on your wing. I remember a method from Steve's book using a fishing scale. I haven't done this exercise yet because I just got some new gear but I need to do it this winter.

A balanced rig is one that, when empty is a near neutral as possible, and when full you can swim to the surface.

There are different definitions of this circulating. That's part of the reason I started this thread.

Another definition is that the BCD alone should be able to float all of the gear, including weights, lights, and other paraphernalia, everything except the diver and the suit.

BTW, there has been plenty of talk about ditching weights and why it isn't stressed more......well lets go to this. Why isn't proper weighting taught.....and why aren't people taught that they need to change their weighting in different environments, gear, etc.

These things are in the course curriculum so it's safe to bet that with the exception of instructors who are cutting corners, it is taught. There seems to be a glaring issue, though that even though people are made aware of this, taught the skills to do proper weighting and told why it's important, it often doesn't translate into doing it (very well) in practice.

Is that because the risks involved in not doing it aren't stressed enough (too much emphasis on "diving is fun") or is there some other reason like divers not taking it seriously?

R..

I would content that being able to swim up a full rig is not part of a balanced rig. The force required is dependent on the strength person (not the rig) and many rigs (technical divers) are far to heavy unless you have super human strength.

A smart diver knows if he can swim up his rig and if he cannot do it with relative ease, dives and practices with appropriate redundant gear so its not needed, ever. This knowledge is part of understanding the buoyancy characteristics of every part of your equipment in both is normal working and failure states.

I've seen sooooooo many new divers over-weighted its ridiculous.....and no need for it.......that seems like a good starting point for me.
Agreed! I believe it starts w/ proper training.
So lets take this one step further.

A 7mm wetsuit will lose about 10lbs of buoyancy in around 70-80ft of water. That is now 10lbs of just dead weight you need to be able to swim up which can be very difficult if you had a complete wing failure at the beginning of a dive......now if you ditch that weight, as you come to the surface, your wetsuit will expand and gain back those lbs of buoyancy essentially turning you into a meat missile as you get close to the surface. Not a desirable situation. A drysuit, IMO is better in this scenario.
Agreed! Please note; Emphasis on ditching your weight.

As long as the setting of your drysuits exhaust valve is correct.
If you look at dives where a thinner wetsuit can be used, doesn't compress as much at depth so you don't lose that buoyancy like in the 7mm because you didnt have it in the first place. So if you wear an alu tank that is positively buoyant at the end of the dive, you need a few lbs to offset that. If you dive steel that ends negatively buoyant, you may not need any weight. So now here comes the important part....with the alu, at the very beginning of the dive, if you have an issue, you can drop a weight and away you go....if you have steel then you have no ditchable weight then you MUST be able to swim the entire rig up. In this case, Alu tank may be a better choice unless you have the ability to swim the steel to the surface with no air in the BC.
Good point!

I also remind divers that in a true OOA emergency you have only seconds after a full exhale to swim up. I learned this when I fell in a hole once by accident. I had no idea how difficult it would be for me to swim my steel tank up with a 3 mm wetsuit. I didn't have a backplate, just my crummy old jacket BC but I hadn't turned my air on. I was cooling off while waiting for everyone to get ready to go and forgot to turn on my air. Planned on dipping in a few feet of water, ended up well over my head. I truly thought I would drown!
Thankfully, I was ably to swim up, even without fins on.

Back
Top Bottom