Diving Decompression and blood clots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Can blood clots be connected to diving and/or decompression? One on my diving buddies had a problem with a blood clot in his arm and he is interested to know if it might be connected with the sport.

He is about 50 years old and dives a lot on a regular basis, for the past 35+ years (probably has close to 2,000 dives).

Ari :confused:

Dear Ari:

I am not aware of any increased problems with blood clots in those who dive.

Perhaps some of the medical regulators can add some additional material to this thread.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi DrDeco,

Hope that your vacation was an enjoyable one.

I, too, am not aware of any increased problems with blood clots in those who dive apart from possible pre or post-diving deep vein thrombosis related to flying to a far-flung scuba destination.

In fact, it could be argued that consistent & sometimes vigorous finning, increased attention to proper hydration, and a snug fitting wetsuit might mitigate against clotting activity. Of course, dehydration due to diuresis induced by immersion could increase risk, but divers endeavor to counteract such fluid loss.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I have sent the link to my buddy, who is not a board member (it may be about time for him to Join).

It looks like he will have to look elsewhere for the reason. After all, not all problems are diving related. :wink:

Ari :)

Hi Ari,

Those with blood clots will want to pursue comprehensive medical attention to explore not only the cause of the clot & best immediate treatment, but also the prevention of future such events

In addition, persons with blood clots often are treated with an anticoagulant (blood thinner). If so, the bumps, scrapes & cuts possible with scuba could result in excessive bleeding.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I appreciate the both the advice and the legal disclaimer.

I will pass it on. I beleive that my buddy's intention is to explore the reasons for the problem as well as possible courses of treatment.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom