Diving Concepts vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, everyone...

I'm going to buy a dry suit soon- have done the DUI demo days for the past two years, and have the card, but I haven't bought one yet. I'll be doing my DM course this summer (lot of quarry time), and hoping to do a few more Jersey shore dives (I'm NOT going to dive the Stolt Dagali in a wetsuit again!).

Although there is some conventional wisdom that Jersey shore divers should have a CF200 so that they can crawl around in the muck and into crumbling, jagged wrecks, I really don't think that I'm going to go this way. Doesn't sound like my style of diving, and I really want something lighter and faster drying. Since I don't plan on having a deco obligation or being in a serious overhead environment, it doesn't sound like the worst case scenario of suit tear would be as life threatening.

ANYway, I was going to get a TLS350, but my LDS (that I like and would try to support) pointed out that the line that they carry (Diving Concepts) is a great suit, cheaper than DUI, and can be customized for only about $100 more. I looked at a rental model of their z-flex (which seems to be like the DUI CLX450, a cordura covered trilam). It seemed pretty well made, but a bit heavy. They have something called an ultraflex pro, which looks more like a TLS350. The owner of the shop is ordering one of those, so I guess I could wait and look at that (although by the time I look at his and order mine, the summer might be over!.

Questions, for anyone who has experience with Diving Concepts:

1) Does the z-flex dry pretty quickly or is it more like a crushed neoprene suit in that regard?

2) Any experience with the ultraflex (the one that I'm leaning towards)..?

3) Any general experienc with Diving Concepts products?

Thanks!

Mike

PS I tried to do a search of the vast ScubaBoard archives for "Diving Concepts" (in quotes), but apparently the search engine doesn't recognize this concept- so I get search results for every post with the words "concepts" (a few) or "diving" (a LOT!). Really not that useful... any ideas on how to work the search engine better?

I love my Diving Concepts Ultraflex. I've been diving in it between 3 and 4 years. Haven't had one leak. The suit doesn't show any wear. I worn it to dive quarries, Great Lakes wrecks and one trip to Vancouver, BC. Some penetration but not excessive. Lots of zebra mussesls and some rough stuff in quarries.

Everyone is going to have different experiences but mine is that all my buddies with DUI's have more leaks than everyone else. I'm not sure why but it's definitely why we call them 'Dry Until Immersed'.

Paula

p.s. My first drysuit was a White's trilaminate and it held up wonderfully under 8 years of heavy diving similar to above. My size changed or I'd still be using it. Friends still borrow it when needed / their suits are in for repair.

diver_paula:
I love my Diving Concepts Ultraflex. I've been diving in it between 3 and 4 years. Haven't had one leak. The suit doesn't show any wear. I worn it to dive quarries, Great Lakes wrecks and one trip to Vancouver, BC. Some penetration but not excessive. Lots of zebra mussesls and some rough stuff in quarries.

Hey, thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear... Does it feel like the TLS350 in weight, etc...???

diver_paula:
Everyone is going to have different experiences but mine is that all my buddies with DUI's have more leaks than everyone else. I'm not sure why but it's definitely why we call them 'Dry Until Immersed'.

Hilarious! LOL..!

doctormike:
Hey, thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear... Does it feel like the TLS350 in weight, etc...???
Nope. More like the 450

I have owned a Diving Concepts Neo Z for the past two years. I love this suit! It's a crushed neoprene suit. I stay very toasty in it. The knees have taken a beating with kneeling on platforms for class. But they don't show much wear. Overall, I like the DC suit and I think they are on the same quality level as DUI (I have dove DUI a few times). But a lot cheaper.

JeffG:
Nope. More like the 450

Do you mean that the z-flex is like the 450? That is what I thought- it's cordura... I thought that the ultra-flex was ligher, closer to the 350... which one do you have?

Thanks!

Mike

ppo2_diver:
I have owned a Diving Concepts Neo Z for the past two years. I love this suit! It's a crushed neoprene suit. I stay very toasty in it. The knees have taken a beating with kneeling on platforms for class. But they don't show much wear. Overall, I like the DC suit and I think they are on the same quality level as DUI (I have dove DUI a few times). But a lot cheaper.

Great, that's good to hear... that the company is OK... I still don't think that I want the crushed neoprene because of the weight and the drying time...

I just made about 15 dives on my DC Ultraflex Pro and I like it a lot. :D
Much nicer than my 7mm neoprene drysuit that I wore before. :wink:

doctormike:
Do you mean that the z-flex is like the 450? That is what I thought- it's cordura... I thought that the ultra-flex was ligher, closer to the 350... which one do you have?

Thanks!

Mike
I have the Ultra-Flex Pro. On the DUI line 350 is "light" the 450 Cordura is "Heavy" and the CF 200 is "Real $#@$#@ Heavy" :D

The Ultra Flex Pro is close to the DUI 450 Cordura. Much heavier than the 350. I am not familar with the Z-Flex, so I have no idea what its weight/drying time is like, but it sounds close to the Ultra Flex Pro. But If I understand correctly, they do not custom fits for that suit. Only stoke sizes. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

aquaoren:
Much nicer than my 7mm neoprene drysuit that I wore before. :wink:
Well...a burlap sack would be better than a POS like that :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom