Diving Concepts...ultraflex pro or duraflex tek?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently placed a order for my drysuit which includes a diving concepts custom stretch extreme undersuit and a diving concepts ultraflex pro suit. I have been measured for the undersuit and am awaiting for its arrival to the dive shop so i can be remeasured in the undersuit so diving concepts can make the custom drysuit.

My original plan was to go with the ultraflex pro suit for flexibility but am seriously considering the duratek flex suit. While i was at the dive shop they showed me a custom duratek flex that was made for another customer. It looked like a really durable but a very stiff suit so i emailed diving concepts and they replied that the duratek flex requires a breaking in period and the flexibility issue between the two suit would be minimal once broken in.

So those of you with the duratek flex suits let me know what you think about your suit. Those of you who have tried both suits let me know your opinions and which you would choose.

I have the Duratek flex suit. I have over 75 dives in this suit and it is still a bit stiff. Also, the material is beginning to fuzz where my cumberbund rubs on my waist.

I will go with their Ultraflex next time. Put the kevlar kneepads on and it should wear fine.

Tygh:
I have the Duratek flex suit. I have over 75 dives in this suit and it is still a bit stiff. Also, the material is beginning to fuzz where my cumberbund rubs on my waist.

I will go with their Ultraflex next time. Put the kevlar kneepads on and it should wear fine.

Thanks for the response. I have decided to stick with my original game plan and go with the ultraflex pro. I am sure it will be more than durable enough for my needs. Now if the undergarment will hurry up and be delivered to the dive shop so i can get measured for the suit. DEMA put everything behind schedule as it is. It sucks waiting for new goodies :D

lal7176:
Thanks for the response. I have decided to stick with my original game plan and go with the ultraflex pro. I am sure it will be more than durable enough for my needs. Now if the undergarment will hurry up and be delivered to the dive shop so i can get measured for the suit. DEMA put everything behind schedule as it is. It sucks waiting for new goodies :D
Are you getting their "Tech" cut??? and just in case you didn't know...Don't get their P-valve, unless you want a drysuit exhast port on your leg.

JeffG:
Are you getting their "Tech" cut??? and just in case you didn't know...Don't get their P-valve, unless you want a drysuit exhast port on your leg.
I am deifinitely NOT getting their cheesy P-valve. I fought them tooth and nail but they will not sell me the tech cut version. There are no shops trained and qualified to measure for this suit in California. The real kicker is that i live about 2 hrs from their factory and they wont let me get measured there either. Makes no sense to me.

I came real close to buying a DUI instead as i wasnt too impressed with DC at the time and the only reason for the change of heart was that I was near monterey and stopped by one of my favored dive shops and decided to buy it as they are a DC dealer. I had made plans to drive up north to get measured for and buy a DUI TLS350 that following monday or tuesday.

The real kicker is that if had probably bought the DUI i would most likely have it right now. I am currently awaiting for my DC undergamrnet to be deliverd so i can be remeasured for the suit.

lal7176:
I am deifinitely NOT getting their cheesy P-valve. I fought them tooth and nail but they will not sell me the tech cut version. There are no shops trained and qualified to measure for this suit in California. The real kicker is that i live about 2 hrs from their factory and they wont let me get measured there either. Makes no sense to me.

I came real close to buying a DUI instead as i wasnt too impressed with DC at the time and the only reason for the change of heart was that I was near monterey and stopped by one of my favored dive shops and decided to buy it as they are a DC dealer. I had made plans to drive up north to get measured for and buy a DUI TLS350 that following monday or tuesday.

The real kicker is that if had probably bought the DUI i would most likely have it right now. I am currently awaiting for my DC undergamrnet to be deliverd so i can be remeasured for the suit.
I know your pain. I had to wait until the owner of a Calgary diveshop got back from DEMA (where she got the Tech cut course). So I drove to Calgary a week ago and got fitted for a UltraFlex Pro Tech Cut :)

They do have new knee pads. They showed them at DEMA. I bought them sight unseen. The kevlar is to binding, and the new ones are supposed to be compressed neoprene (I'm not sure how much different than the other neoprene knee pads though :06: )

JeffG:
I know your pain. I had to wait until the owner of a Calgary diveshop got back from DEMA (where she got the Tech cut course). So I drove to Calgary a week ago and got fitted for a UltraFlex Pro Tech Cut :)

They do have new knee pads. They showed them at DEMA. I bought them sight unseen. The kevlar is to binding, and the new ones are supposed to be compressed neoprene (I'm not sure how much different than the other neoprene knee pads though :06: )

Glad to see you were able to get the tech cut. Its pretty sad when i live a few hours from their factory and cant get one :D

I am really keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping to get a good fit. Some people i have talked to really like them and others have gone through the wringer trying to get a proper fit. Hopefully i get the newer style knee pads on my suit. Keep me posted on how your suit turns out. I am sure you will also get your suit before me. Maybe i should move to canada :D

lal7176:
Glad to see you were able to get the tech cut. Its pretty sad when i live a few hours from their factory and cant get one :D

I am really keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping to get a good fit. Some people i have talked to really like them and others have gone through the wringer trying to get a proper fit. Hopefully i get the newer style knee pads on my suit. Keep me posted on how your suit turns out. I am sure you will also get your suit before me.
Everything I have heard about custom suits is it almost seems random who gets a good cut and who doesn't. And that covers every manufacturer (DUI...DC...Whites...etc etc)

So we shall see...(I didn't have to get fitted for custom DC undies..I'm continuing to use my DUI 400g stuff...so I didn't have to wait for two sets of measurements)

lal7176:
Maybe i should move to canada :D
Hmmmmmm...Ocean vs Lakes...No drysuit is worth that:)

What is a "tech cut"? I got a custom suit from DC that needed to be redone twice because the dork at the dive shop did not know what he was doing when measuring. I cannot use an off the rack suit (picture short gorilla).

I was planning on ordering another suit from them this winter.

As to DUI, am not a fan of theirs and I live in San Diego. Every time I have dealt with DUI, they have been arrogant and talk ill of competitors. Plus, their suits seem very overpriced. A DC Duratek suit uses the same material as the DUI suit, so the price difference is not justified.

P.S. I put a Halcyon balanced p-valve in my suit and am very happy with it. No problems whatsoever.

Tygh:
What is a "tech cut"? I got a custom suit from DC that needed to be redone twice because the dork at the dive shop did not know what he was doing when measuring. I cannot use an off the rack suit (picture short gorilla).
The Tech cut would be similar to the DUI Cave cut. It is a tighter fitting suit.

But only "Certified" people can ask DC to do a tech cut for a suit. This (I assume) is to not have the "dorks" make a suit even worse by asking for a tech cut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom