Diving Concepts "FLEX" series dive suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got off the phone with my LDS, discussing the DC "FLEX" series dive suits. I saw some suggested retail prices online from reviews in magazines and so forth and I am thinking their suits are a bit high. Can you please give me an idea if their prices are high?

Dura Flex Tek - $1750 (stock) or $1950 (custom)
Z-Flex - $1300 (stock)
Ultra Flex Pro - $1750 (stock) or $1950 (custom)

The magazines had these start off in the $1200 (stock) to $1500 (custom) and of course the online shops that have them are under these retail prices. I love my LDS and have a close friend there but when you start talking $500 to $1000 difference, we're talking about a lot of money.

If you fit in a stock size than by all means make the saving.
If you require a custom suit, I'd rather let someone who knows what they are doing measure me and have a good fitting suit.
Paying $1950 and having a good fitting suit that will last you for a while is cheaper than spending $1200 and having to buy another suit if it doesn't work out for you.
Don't forget to calculate possible shipping cost back and forth should the suit that you'll order from the net not fit the first time.
I'm all for saving if you can do it but there are some things I wouldn't buy on the net esp. a suit but this because I usually never fit in a stock size.
Just my 0.02 cents FWIW :wink:

darylm74:
I just got off the phone with my LDS, discussing the DC "FLEX" series dive suits. I saw some suggested retail prices online from reviews in magazines and so forth and I am thinking their suits are a bit high. Can you please give me an idea if their prices are high?

Dura Flex Tek - $1750 (stock) or $1950 (custom)
Z-Flex - $1300 (stock)
Ultra Flex Pro - $1750 (stock) or $1950 (custom)

The magazines had these start off in the $1200 (stock) to $1500 (custom) and of course the online shops that have them are under these retail prices. I love my LDS and have a close friend there but when you start talking $500 to $1000 difference, we're talking about a lot of money.
Its a little bit more than what I paid to a LDS in Canada for an Ultra Flex Pro (Tech Cut)...but not by a lot (~$100 give or take)

I did a package deal on mine and bought a custom ultraflex pro, HD zipper, bellows pockets, stretch thinsulate extreme undersuit, 3mm wet gloves and thinsulate booties out the door for 2500.00 including tax. I tried to buy the tech version but at the time no one in california had been trained by DC(yes they are in Ca) to do the measuring. Overall i am very pleased with the fit of my suit.

I bought a Stock Zflex from my LDS and paid $1000 for it. I love my drysuit, however, im not impressed by DC service after the sale. I bought it in Jan. 05 have done about 20 dives in and developed a leak in the seam of one of the boots (tape cracked). They're like we pressure tested it when it left the shop and it was good. The jury is still out on the matter...

Dryglove:
I did a package deal on mine and bought a custom ultraflex pro, HD zipper, bellows pockets, stretch thinsulate extreme undersuit, 3mm wet gloves and thinsulate booties out the door for 2500.00 including tax. I tried to buy the tech version but at the time no one in california had been trained by DC(yes they are in Ca) to do the measuring. Overall i am very pleased with the fit of my suit.

I just ordered the same deal through my shop and it will probably work out about the same, if not better.

The other suits they sale there are DUI and Zeagle. I am still considering the whole thing. My wife sews and makes my undergarments for my current drysuit so I'm not worried about getting measured right. That gives me some ammo for ordering online as well. I know I won't fit in a stock suit. I've got very broad shoulders and chest, rather stocky guy so I know whatever I do it will most likely be custom. I have heard a lot of bad things about DC's customer service so I'm definitely undecided. I just saw the DC suits a couple divers had at Bainbridge and I loved them. I just thought they would be cheaper than DUI. They are are about $50 difference at my LDS>

Don't remember the pricing, since I purchased my suit last year. Diving Concepts suits are great. I got a custom suit with several upgrades and love it. Maybe the higher price you got has some of the upgrades in it.

darylm74:
The other suits they sale there are DUI and Zeagle. I am still considering the whole thing. My wife sews and makes my undergarments for my current drysuit so I'm not worried about getting measured right. That gives me some ammo for ordering online as well. I know I won't fit in a stock suit. I've got very broad shoulders and chest, rather stocky guy so I know whatever I do it will most likely be custom. I have heard a lot of bad things about DC's customer service so I'm definitely undecided. I just saw the DC suits a couple divers had at Bainbridge and I loved them. I just thought they would be cheaper than DUI. They are are about $50 difference at my LDS>

Read this very informative thread over at mossmanscuba. It tells the good, the bad and the ugly http://www.mossmanscuba.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=857&

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom