Diving Concepts--Any thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, just a quick question. My wife and I will be ordering custom drysuits next week. We are planning on going with Diving Concepts. I think we have most of them available in our area but are going with DC for a couple of the following reasons. We like the dealer. Like the fact that they are true custom fit. Like the options we can get. Like the pricing(not that it matters with this addiction).

I guess what I'd like to know is are there DC "horror stories" out there. Everyone will think what they have is the best, it's human nature. What I want to know is why I shouldn't buy a DC not why I should buy something else.

FWIW, I currently dive a DUI CF200 that leaks and takes about two days to dry. My wife is diving a viking that is OK but doesn't fit her very well, not a custom womens suit.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Well, I hate to do this, but I have a DC horror story.

I ordered a Pinnacle suit, custom, with back zip. Unfortunately, their zippers only come in certain lengths, and the shortest was actually too long to do a decent back zip on a suit as small as mine. Therefore, they wrapped the zipper over the top of the arms on both sides, forcing the dump valve onto the front of my chest. This was something I discovered when I found out the only way to vent the suit was go vertical and lean back, something I don't do when I'm ascending. They also put the wrong size boots on the suit, and claimed it was the dealer's error.

There was no way to fix the problem, so they put a cuff dump in, which I was learning to live with until I realized that the zipper placket, which is stiff, completely precluded me reaching my valves with either arm.

I requested a new suit, since I thought they should have known better. They countered by offering to make a second suit at half price. They did, front zip this time, and cut it just about one inch too short in the torso and about 2" too long in the legs. They also put the wrong size boots on AGAIN, although they fixed that. So my legs puddle around my ankles, and I can barely reach my valves if I take every care to stretch the suit as much as possible on land and once I get in the water.

It's a beautiful suit, with lovely workmanship, great pockets, and it's very warm. It just doesn't fit, and I'm $3800 into the whole mess now.

My local dealer was wonderful, but I'm not very happy.

Wow... sorry to hear about your experience TSandM. I know my LDS has considered carrying them and thought highly of both the quality and the price. I'll have to have him read your comments.

Good thing I dive wet.

I think there are a fair amount of horror stories for all custom drysuits, Bob has a priceless one for Northern Divers, and watching Lynne's experience with DC has made me glad I fit a stock size suit . . .

DC does have a myriad of stock sizes, their standard z-flex line, a slimmer-cut "Z-Tech" line, and some others (I don't fully understand the size charts and the product line). If at all possible, I'd say try and find a stock size that fits, cheaper, and less headaches.

They are great suits, I have close to fifty dives on my Z-Tech so far (have had it five months), and I love it. FWIW, I am in a stock XXL, and am 6'1" and 195, when I bought it I was 6'1" and 220 and it fit great. Now, a little baggy, but it still fits well.

Like has been said before the horror stories about custom suits abound. It doesn't seem to make any difference which brand. I'm not exactly sure why.

On the other hand I have a stock Diving Concepts cordura suit that works very well. And I really like the material. On one dive I was pushed into some sea urchins. They did not penetrate the suit.

I don't know that Diving Concepts is better, or worse than any other brand. But, it is a very good value for a rugged, reliable dry suit.

A few suggestions with Diving Concept suits.
  1. Get a back entry, not a front entry. Almost all the instructors have a front entry and they all dislike them because they aren't comfortable. I have a back entry and love it. I always seem to find someone to zip it up so that hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure why they don't feel comfortable, but they do complain about it (yes you Rob :D ).
  2. Consider the newer stretch material. I have the heavier (more durable) shell material that has no stretch. Putting on and off fins can be a bit of a chore because of suit stiffness. A couple of divers got the lighter weight (and more colorful) material and have no issues.
  3. DC boots are very thin and don't last very long, I wore the soles smooth after only a few years diving (maybe 100-150 dives). I also don't like feeling the rocks in the parking lot through my boots, they hurt. That's really the only negative I have of the suits, otherwise they are very good suits. I switched my suit to socks and rock boots.

A follow up since the subject of Front Zipper vs. Back Zipper was raised.

To me it is very much a matter of personal choice. I happen to like Front Zipper/Entry because it gives me the ability to get into and out of the suit quickly and conveniently without assistance or contortions.

Plus, it puts me first in line for the head while the back entry folks are still struggling:)

Note: I originally went with the back entry suit for precisely the reason quoted above -- People seemed to prefer the fit and feel of them. But it doesn't work if you're ordering a small suit!

Back
Top Bottom