Diving Computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talked to Frank at Diverite today about the Hurricane and the new computer they are coming out with. He said it will be about the same size as the Nitek He, slightly larger numbers, and you can choose between the algorithms including VPM. He works R&D and did not or knows and would not comment on a price. They say end of March 2007 or in April to see it. Bet on July or August!

Tonio, call the folks at Lynnhaven Dive Center va beach va (757) 481-7949 ask for Mr. Sommers, he swears by the TEC for deep wreck and says the TEC2G is great.

A few thoughts. Go wrist mount. It just gives you more flexibility than a console mount. Get a multi-gas computer. Most folks dive nitrox (when appropriate) these days. If possible try several models out in a pool before buying. I have a Suunto Vytec and a Nitek He. Both are great computers, but the display on the Vytec is far more readable (bigger digits), especially in darker conditions. Air integration is really nice, if you are OK putting the extra money into the transmitter. Not essential. There are plenty of good models to choose from on the market. DR is coming out with a new model, but I don't know that we will see something dramatically better, more functional, or cheaper.

I dive the Suunto Vytec air integrate as my primary and a Cochran EMC-16 as backup. I have owned Aeris as well. The Aeris Manta, non-ai wrist computer, single gas, is a pretty good computer for the price. You can get them around $300 or less. Same algorithm as the Epic and Elite. If you can, dive a few before you buy. I dove 8 before I selected my most recent; side-by-side if you can to see the differences.
:monkeydan

Since you asked in the tech forum...

No consoles, not compatible with stage bottles. Go for a wrist mount only, with an aftermarket bungie strap if possible. No need for multigas just nitrox. 99% of the time you'll be using a guage and tables for mix down the road for mix.

Suunto Vyper is an old standby. Fairly conservative but somewhat adjustable in nitrox computer mode. Nice Gauge mode except for the lack of seconds. Good download software. Excellent long term reliability/durability.

The Uwatec Aladin Tech is so-so. My 1st lost buttons and flooded, which sounds like its a common problem. Not sure if its replacement the 2G has the same issues.

Sorry I dropped into this one late.......

I would vote for the Nitek HE right now. EEEEEAAAAssssyy to use and will grow with you except for CCR stuff. I have had mine for almost 3 years, great piece of gear. If you hold on the new Dive Rite will be out this summer it should be awesome as well.

Fully agree that the He is very easy to use (except for the readability issues for old guys like me), and will grow with you as you progress in your diving. Bear in mind that the He has now been discontinued by DR. Don't know how you feel about that (? future support, etc.) , but it may mean some good deals on used ones when the new DR computer comes out later this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom