Diving charters mid December Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are checking out Tampa area for possible relocate. (sorry yet another northerner :shocked2:) Found 2 charters that look good at least for weekend of Dec 15,16. Tanks a Lot and Blue Water Explorers. I just want to see what diving the Tampa area is like. Going to be solo and probably should have a buddy since I don't know the area, conditions or how you dive. I think at least Tanks a lot drops a DM in the water on each dive. That's all I need unless I can buddy up with someone else. Any recommendations here? It looks like water is going to be sub 70s if I understand correctly. Will a 5 or 7 mill wetsuit work generally? Do you guys dive dry in the winter? I really want to leave the dry suit at home for this trip if I can.
Thanks

You might also consider diving some of the springs north of Tampa and even maybe snorkeling with the manatees, in the Crystal River area. Maybe even try a drift dive down the Rainbow River.
I would like to do some springs but those are pretty well known for their clarity and caverns. I am more interested in the ocean side this time We were there a month ago and I did the Manatee "snorkel". Actually it was more like a Manatee wade since it appears the water level was extremely low and they could not even do some of the springs cavern dives from what I was told. While the Manatees are cute it seems like they need to limit the number of visitors per hour or something. It kind of turns into a circus when you drop 50 or so people in the small area near the barricaded spring and the volunteer rangers are yelling and the manatees are trying to rest and the visitors are trying to pet them which makes the volunteer rangers yell more. I managed to stay off the bottom mostly and did not pet the resting Manatees but I can't say the same for many of the visitors.

Wife and I are checking out Tampa area for possible relocate. (sorry yet another northerner :shocked2:) Found 2 charters that look good at least for weekend of Dec 15,16. Tanks a Lot and Blue Water Explorers. I just want to see what diving the Tampa area is like. Going to be solo and probably should have a buddy since I don't know the area, conditions or how you dive. I think at least Tanks a lot drops a DM in the water on each dive. That's all I need unless I can buddy up with someone else. Any recommendations here? It looks like water is going to be sub 70s if I understand correctly. Will a 5 or 7 mill wetsuit work generally? Do you guys dive dry in the winter? I really want to leave the dry suit at home for this trip if I can.
Thanks

I've dove with Tanks a Lot, excellent boat, the Captain is great and his wife is the DM. You are correct the DM goes in the water but it is not a led dive or anything like that. When I was there she went in and checked the anchor and during the dive she took individual pictures of each diver which they posted on Facebook. Check out their Facebook. As for a buddy you can probably buddy up with someone on the boat. Bottom line, I highly recommend Tanks a lot.

I've dove with Tanks a Lot, excellent boat, the Captain is great and his wife is the DM. You are correct the DM goes in the water but it is not a led dive or anything like that. When I was there she went in and checked the anchor and during the dive she took individual pictures of each diver which they posted on Facebook. Check out their Facebook. As for a buddy you can probably buddy up with someone on the boat. Bottom line, I highly recommend Tanks a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I signed up for with TAL for Sunday the 15th. Hopefully will be a good time. Signed up the following Sunday for Jupiter Diving Center 3 tank so at least get wet 2 weeks in a row.

what are they charging for a two tank dive?

what are they charging for a two tank dive?

From what I was told. Have not gone yet and neither charter requires payment at booking.

TAL 2 tank $80 + $10/tank air. ( They have to go out 5 - 12 miles offshore to dive the gulf)
Jupiter 2 tanks $65
Jupiter 3 tank $90
Jupiter add $15/AL80 EAN. They require a custom 28% - 31% mix for the 3 tank dive. Steel tanks various sizes add $5/tank.
Jupiter

From what I was told. Have not gone yet and neither charter requires payment at booking.

TAL 2 tank $80 + $10/tank air. ( They have to go out 5 - 12 miles offshore to dive the gulf)
Jupiter 2 tanks $65
Jupiter 3 tank $90
Jupiter add $15/AL80 EAN. They require a custom 28% - 31% mix for the 3 tank dive. Steel tanks various sizes add $5/tank.
Jupiter

$100 is pretty high for a two tanker but that may be the going rate in the Tampa area. Around here the dive sites are pretty close to shore and there is plenty of competition both keep the prices low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom