Diving Cancun.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorpio Divers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hola! as a dive operation owner we get asked a lot of questions, one of them is: Is Cancun worth a try? are there reefs like in Cozumel? well, heres what we got to say....

Cancun is still part of the mesoamerican reef (second largest in the world), which makes it amazing diving for those who are familiar with the caribbean marine life.

Cancun offers small to medium marine life, your normal barracudas, angel fish, green ells, eagle rays, sting rays, etc... in some occasions you might see nurse sharks and if you are really lucky maybe just maybe a black tip...

Reefs in Cancun aren't as tall as Cozumel wall dive but range in the 60/50 feet depth, and and aprox 6 feet avg in heigh. Some are smaller, some taller, but all have marine life around it making it a great calm dive.

Currents in the "deeper" Cancun reefs vary from intense at times to mild. When intense it is recommended that divers can equalize proficiently to not miss the reefs and once passed, it can be tricky to get back.

Surface conditions vary but I consider it is more choppy than Cozumel. Most of the divers that have been to Cozumel and here, notice Cozumel is calmer in ocean conditions.

The deeper reefs vary from 60 to 50 feet and the shallow reefs vary from 30 to 20 feet... There is 2 wrecks in Cancun, a bit torn by hurricanes, but lots of fun to dive!

The wrecks are 80 feet deep aprox, and most of the time have a strong current. it is a great drift dive from one point to the other of the wreck in the C58 (split into two parts). Strongly recommended for those with atlas 10 dives experience.

Normally eagle rays are observed in this wreck in the December feb period, with schools of up to 30!

What type of divers should dive Cancun?
From our point of view, deeper reefs will be more enjoyable for those who can equalize with no problem, and can perform a free ascent with the 3min safety stop as all deeper reefs need this stop.

For the shallow reefs, it is a nice calm dive with almost no current, making it ideal for any diver to enjoy. Friends, family, new divers, all have a greta time here!

Are the shallow reefs colorful and worth it? Well, it depends on your demands but normally certified divers enjoy the no-deco time, and pay attention to finding all little critters, tho some prefer to go deeper.

Coral and marine life: Remember this is the caribbean. We don't need to go deep to find cool stuff! One of my favorite dives has been in Manchones reef (30 feet) where 8 eagle rays were eating and it was a spectacle!

About the shallow reefs: We get asked a lot: "do you go to the Isla mujeres Reefs?": the Cancun marine Park is part of the Isla Mujeres reefs. Shallow reefs are the ones in front of the Island and comprehend Manchones, Manchones Grande and Chico, as well as the MUSA. Most operators do this dives as they are the best shallow reefs in the area. As said, ideal for any type of diver, and great for beginners.

Night dives: Cancun Shallow reefs are ideal for night dives. Only 30 feet and amazing things to see like turtles, octopus, squids, lobsters... and parrot fish sleeping in their mucus bubble (or so it looks like).

Cancun has nice reefs for the experienced diver but as mentioned: don't compare it to Cozumel. They are different types of dives. Both great, i'd say Cancun's marine life is great to see as a diver.

Cancun has a lot of dive operators that offer diving, all are great as each offer different types of service. Just choose what type of service you'd like and for sure you'll have a great time!~

Hope this info helps divers!!!! Dive Safe!

:cool2::wink::eyebrow:

Awesome write up!
i dove Cancun and Cozumel many times!

What I find great about Cancun reef dives is the density of biodiversity that you can observe in one little cove of a long reef (punts negra, etc). You don't just see fish, you become part of the school :)

You don't find that as much in Cozumel. Yes, the reefs are huge. That means fish get to scatter around and you have less of that feeling that " oh **** I'm about to hit a couple of fish if they don't get out of the way"

Both great places to dive!

Just my 2 cents

I've been diving in Cancun several times (with Scorpio Divers a few times) and have always enjoyed the diving. The large schools of fish and interesting reef structure make for some nice dives. In the winter, I love the wrecks and watching the school of Eagle Rays.. I've seen up to 15 or so on a single dive before. Also, on other dives I've seen multiple sharks, turtles, or rays, and dozens of different fish species.... and on one dive I'd even seen sharks, rays, turtles and a dolphin, all on the same dive. You don't hear much about Cancun for scuba, but for a quick and cheap getaway from the U.S. you can't go wrong. Plus depending on the season you can go see bull sharks, whale sharks, and eagle rays, among the regular things you can find year round. And even out of season, you have a chance of seeing some of the more unusual things. We actually saw a whale shark in Puerto Morelos in December a couple years ago, well after the season for it, so you just never know what you'll see. I definitely recommend it. Here are pics from a random day a couple years ago when i was there: https://www.facebook.com/SnorkyMN/m...526753.2137807.1444671329&type=1&l=fa21aa6824 Oh, the one site that just doesn't do it for me there is the MUSA site. The statues just aren't my favorite and there didn't seem to be enough life there to warrant a return trip. Also, here is a video I did of the Eagle Rays a couple years ago.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2F97LwgqY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom