Diving Aug 23-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brighteyesLC7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone and anyone :)

My boyfriend and I are newish divers from New England and we are coming to the OBX for our 5th trip, but first diving! Is anyone interested in chatting with me about any advice?! Some questions...

1. What variety of wetsuit should we use?
2. What are the safest/easiest to find beach dives that can be done without a guide?
3. What are the best shops?
4. Is there anything we absolutely shouldn't miss??

Thanks and please post or email me any added comments!

Lisa

I will try, but the Outer Banks is a large area so without knowing exactly where you will be I will generalize.
OBX as in Nags Head is the only place to find shore diving, I have yet to do it since I like deep wrecks & if I travel that is what I dive.
Try Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina his is a very good & I think only shop in town. They should be able to give you some specifics on the shore dives. There is another group in town that sets up shore dives, but their name alludes me.
Probably a 5mm suit, for the norm, 3mm if you can handle the cold (mid 60s) water & 7mm if you can't.
Now OBX as in Cape Hatteras, where to start, I love diving there & my favorite op is Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA runs a 6-pack & as a Captain you will not find a more dive experienced 1 out there.
I wore a 3mm last weekend & was fine (mid-70s) there are lots of shallow wrecks that will benefit newer divers. The FW Abrahms in 80fsw or the Tug in 70fsw this is video from the Tug.
Sand Tiger Shark Teaser on Vimeo Just to name a couple. Check out his site for more Videos.
There is also DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best! since JT is booked quite often this is who he steers divers to if he can't help you.
There is also Outer Banks Diving , but they have gotten a fair amount of bad press lately & their boat was out of the water last weekend getting a new engine, but they are the only actual shop down there.

Can you let us know more about where you are going? The Outer Banks are a big (well, long) place.

Thanks! Were in nags head area and we are going to try the triangle wrecks if it calms down a bit!

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom