Diving at Puako....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone from the Big Island tell me what the diving conditions typically are at Puako? I may be there in February and would like to know if the shore entry/exit would be too sketchy for a pair of beginners.

What are typical ocean conditions in Feb. for this area of the Kohala coast?

Thanks!

Puako is good in the AM but when the trades pick up it gets a little rough, dooable but a little rough. Poor vis after heavy rains. Make sure you swim out a ways and mark your exit well, there is only one good one the rest kick your butt.

The typical conditions for N. Kohala in winter depend entirely on what angle the NW swell is aiming. If its North it usually has surf, if its NW it can be somewhat shadowed out by Maui, if its west-NW its usually biggish surf. www.hawaiisurfnews.com can give you the daily details

I would NOT do this as your first Hawaii dives as beginners. Go down to Place of Refuge first, or get a local guide to take you out.

Details to follow:
There are numerous public access points along Puako road. But the best dive is down at the end. I have dove it numerous times. To get there, drive to the end of the paved road, there is a beach access dirt road to the right. Go as far as you dare with a normal car & park. You will see on your right the tide pools & flat lava, up ahead is 4WD access toward a real beach (rubble, not really sand).

The offshore there is a series of lava ridges heading away from shore, and sandy rubble flat spots between them. Short underwater cliffs rise up to about 10-15ft deep just offshore. This is where you see the waves breaking.

Facing south, a smattering of small trees on the right (ocean side) is your entry/exit. You will see a smoothly curved, scooped out looking rock, aptly named the "couch", inside a little cove like area. Sandy bottom there, and some protection from surge, a small opening to get in & out of the little cove area. Step down in here to put on your mask & fins, then time your departure to use an outward swell to safely leave the opening. I usually swim out from the shallows on my back, which gives us a chance to get a good look at that last little tree along the north end of the beach to mark our return exit. Some folks hang a towel in the tree for extra help.

Before you gear up:
Take a look out at the beach & observe the waves. If there is a NW swell slipping in, there will be surf & I would think twice about doing the dive, especially if you are there after 10:30am, cuz the onshores are gonna start up & waves are only gonna get bigger. If there are people surfing, thats another clue. Also, if there is a lot of wave action when you arrive, the viz will not be all that great.

If the waves are small then put on your polarized sunglasses & go over to the entry point described above. You will see a mooring buoy just slightly right, about 200 yards off shore. In front of it to the left will be a shallow cut visible with the shades on. This is where you want to swim to, then do your descent into this cut.

Once you are in the cut (25ft deep) keep the short wall on the right side, you will be heading out toward a pinnacle where that mooring buoy is attached. Once you get there, go around the pinnacle point (water is about 50-60ft deep there) and come back toward shore along the other side of this point. Lionfish, snake eels, and many different morays have been seen here. Mantas have cruised by this point during the day, as well as schools of Hellers barracuda. Keep going toward shore in this gradually narrowing space with sandy/rubble bottom, coral heads projecting variously etc. Lots of octopus here too. Eventually you will come to a swim thru (with skylights) that goes back a ways to a dead end, like a cave. On the left is an overhang with shoaling fish. If the surge is bad be careful. Otherwise proceed in there. Sleeping turtles, lobster, 7-eleven crabs, leaf scorpion fish, banded shrimp have all been seen in there. Water is only about 25 ft deep in there. After the cave exit, you can proceed further north and check out the structures over the next point, just be careful to note how you get back, its easier to take the same cut you entered at to return, so you don't have to swim in the shallow breaking waves to cut across diagonally back to the little tree & the "couch".

If you do get to the end of the cut on your return (good) you can pop up for a look at conditions & get your bearings (compass) and then stay down to make the swim back underwater. Its only 10 ft deep but have seen LOTs of cool stuff in there as well as numerous turtles. Titan scorpionfish like to sit in the coral heads there.

Time your entry back into the little cove where the couch is so you don't get pushed in by a wave.

Be aware there are NO facilities here. There is a small convenience store halfway back on the road.

Puako is a great place for beginners to dive, when the ocean conditions are low. I've been there many times and really, every day is different regardless of the season. Mornings tend to be a lot more calm than afternoons and if things are too rough, it's a great snorkel spot too. donnyb already pointed out my favorite entry point but there's plenty of others as well. Just about any place will get you in (some with more difficult than others), getting out tends to be the tricky part so clearly distinguish your entry. When the surf is low, it's a fairly easy dive and you can see TONS of stuff at 35-40' so there's no dept issues. Keep in mind that you are in an entirely residential area and while there are often snorkelers and people around the beach, there often are not. Don't make the mistake of going too far out or getting in if the conditions are rough.

As far as facilities, there is a general store down the road and a public beach with restrooms and showers all the way back down the road (right before you hit hwy 19, turn down the one lane road and follow it back to the beach). There's also a major hotel down the road from the entry point. Just lock up your car (cover the dive gear) and follow the trail for about 10 minutes.

P.S. Stay (or come back) that evening just before sunset and you'll easily find dozens of turtles. But please, don't bother them.

A couple of extra comments. Puako can be a great dive, it can also be trouble if you arent' experienced or have someone who knows it to join in. Donnyb has some great directions on the site.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Puako for beginners on thier own, especially if the 0-16 dives on your profile is accuarate. If the swell is much over 15-18 inches it can kick your arse. I've gone on 2'+ days with very experienced divers and it's on occasion been a struggle to get everyone back in to shore. Just remember, if you are having a tough time getting into the water there, you are likely to have a 3-4 times tougher go of it getting back to shore. If you can do it with someone who knows it, on a good day, you will have a great time. If you are very new at diving, and have nobody to lead you, consider doing the Place of Refuge down south, or at least start with Mahukona (It's got a chain you can follow 'til you get your navigation down) if you are staying up north.

Hint: Get really good at setting and running an out and back compass heading. Every few hundred yards Puako has a 40' or so wide public access. Get to the calmest access, decide if it's even worth going (as a beginner, I'd be skeptical if there's any waves), do the sunglasses thing and find a crack in the reef that runs close to shore to swim to, SET YOUR Compass and get to the crack. When you get to the crack drop down and follow it to the edge of the dropoff, then memorize the major landmarks rigth there... you'll want to end up back at the right crack at the end of your dive, then you can go up the crack and do a reciprocal heading and actually have a good shot at making it back to the narrow public access point. Once you get to know a few entries and compass headings you can enter in one, and get out at another, if you don't mind walking with gear.

Get to recognize swells, and your own limitations, and you should be fine. Ignore either of those and you might not find Puako shore diving all that enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom