Diving at Ponquogue Bridge in Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanjunkie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to try my hand at diving the northeast this season. I've never dove cold water before so I picked up a thick wetsuit/gloves/boots/etc. The Ponquogue Bridge sounds like a cool place to get acquainted with my new gear. I wanted to know if there was a low tidal flow area deep enough to do a buoyancy check before the dive, so I don't have to waste time during the slack tide figuring out how much weight I need. And don't worry, I'll find someone experienced to dive with there. Thanks

Can only help a bit: Never been, but would love to dive that area ever since reading David Rosenthal's book, "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY". He gives a nice description of the Ponquogue bridge dive site, including currents and depths. Things change, keep trying to find a local diver...

You need to dive this site at slack tide so your window will be short. If you are going to need more time to check out new gear you might be better off diving the west jetty at Montauk harbor. You can drive right up to the jetty and park in a free public lot there with a short walk to the water.

Thanks. I was basically wondering if there was a spot at or near the bridge that's protected from the tidal flow where I could do a buoyancy check before slack tide (assume current will still be ripping in). That way when slack comes I will be all set.

Thanks. I was basically wondering if there was a spot at or near the bridge that's protected from the tidal flow where I could do a buoyancy check before slack tide (assume current will still be ripping in). That way when slack comes I will be all set.

None that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom