Diving at Na Pali coast off of Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Kauai for a wedding next month and searched around for what they have to offer. They have a 3-tank boat dive with gear that's mad $$$s. I don't go there very often and was debating about whether or not it's worth it. I've only been to Na Pali once before on more of a tour boat that provided snorkeling (forgot my PADI card at home). Visibility was pretty good, although I didn't see much sea life where we were. Maybe it was a bad spot?

Has anyone done it, or are there equally better spots to dive at closer to Kauai's shores?

yea, I want to do that spot too. I know the hike is awesome and you can camp at a private little beach and have "zodiac man" deliver your pre-packed cooler with steaks and wine, etc so you don't have to hike it in.

I am not sure about the diving....some times of the year I think there is a gnarley surf zone. I will watch the thread.

I still haven't decided yet...so far it's looking like I'll just do some diving off of Kauai instead

there was this really nice operator on here for awhile, I can never remember his name...maybe justleesa knows? That is who I want to go with to "virtual awareness".

He is always very helpful and knows the area very well, it seems.

Just a quick note on the West Side dives (Mana Crack). I have led/done many dives there. It is a very unique spot for sure. I have had some wonderful dives there. The drawback in my mind is that at times it is very quiet and uneventful. The topography is pretty great and unlike anything else here. At times there are many sharks (greys primarily. Rays are encountered from time to time though rare. Large cuda, jacks and spotted knifejaws are also sometimes seen. But again it can be very quiet other times. Additionally it does frequently have "holy cow" currents. I would say it is def catagorized as Advanced diving in general. The best times to dive there (just like Niihau) is when the currents are running.

South side dives can be awesome - especially if you go with an operator that isnt afraid or even opposed to running to some further spots - or looking for that spot that is a little better. Some sights have a lot of impact (like anywhere in the islands) while others are less dove and often more exciting. Be sure to ask your operator in advance if you can request sites/types of dives.

Hope this helps. If you want more detail or have any other questions please feel free to let me know.

Island Best...

YOU.....

what is your shop?

I am ready to plan.

You need a sig line.

itch808:
(forgot my PADI card at home)

too bad you didn't ask. PADI has an online dive check service and they could of found your information so you could dive even without your card...remember for next time :wink:

catherine96821:
what is your shop?

I want to know as well! Aquaman, your tips are great! The Southside sounds like a better option for me since I'm no where near "advanced". My Sister's Fiance from Kauai recommended I try Seasport, but I have no idea on how the service varies over there. I already know to avoid certain shops here on Oahu.

justleesa:
too bad you didn't ask. PADI has an online dive check service and they could of found your information so you could dive even without your card...remember for next time :wink:
Thanks, that will come in handy since I can be forgetful at times when packing for trips. :D

SeaSports is just down the road from us and they have two different dive boats both going on morning and afternoon trips.

Hans, Zach and Andrew are their captains. I am not real familiar with their Divemasters as they seem to change frequently but Andrew and Hans both dive from time to time and they are both VERY experienced.

They do take larger groups on their boats. I believe between 12-18 though I am almost positive that they only take 6 per DM.

Water was incredible today. We had whitetip reef sharks, octopus, peacock flounders, baracuda (2 species), green sea turtles, bandit angels (only in Hawaii), butterfly fish, spotted knifejaws, fried egg nudibranchs, a titan scorpionfish, yellowmargin and whitemouth morays... tons of amazing critters and over 80ft vis! Good day to be a diver! But then is it ever a bad one?

Best wishes
A

catherine96821:
yea, I want to do that spot too. I know the hike is awesome and you can camp at a private little beach and have "zodiac man" deliver your pre-packed cooler with steaks and wine, etc so you don't have to hike it in.

I am not sure about the diving....some times of the year I think there is a gnarley surf zone. I will watch the thread.

I forget, why did you buy a boat? I seem to rember a conversation or two about doing inter island trips on it?????:confused: Lets just pack up the camping gear and go!

Back
Top Bottom