Diving at Gili Islands or stay on Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@matts1w & @charlier

Wow lot of good info. Thank you all. I was planning on going to Gili Air towards the end of our trip. Maybe I need to revise my plans.

Really appreciate all the feedback!

My personal feeling is go to Gili Air for your kids OW class. Easy walk to the boats on nice sand and perfect learning conditions. Afterwards, Liberty wreck and topside @Bali.

@Wisnu

Wow awesome pix. In your opinion, is Gilli worth going to or just stay on Bali?

Thanks Ladra,
Since you have two weeks and traveling with Kids, Gili air can be a good option. The beach is better than Tulamben.
I assume you will be using speed boat from amed to Gili. Please check if they are back on service. When we were there, the boat operation is suspended.

we stayed in hotel uyah 5 years ago, nice hotel, freshly baked bread for breakfast, love night dive in the house reef (muck/macro)

10002952124_dc0695902d_c.jpg
Hotel Uyah Amed 1 by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr']

Attachments

• 10002952124_dc0695902d_c.jpg
    10002952124_dc0695902d_c.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 38
The fast boats to Gili are running and all services are restored. Easy Gili will pick you up at DPS airport and take you to their fastboat to Gili - make sure you ask for a boat to Gili Air

I agree with what others have said, Gili Air is good for a family-friend atmosphere, nice beach, restaurants and easy decent diving. It would be a great place for your kids OW class. Once they’ve qualified Bali would be an fantastic step up for the diving experience.

If you want to end your trip chillin on a beach then have you thought about OW class + topside stuff in Padang Bai or Candidasa, then moving on to Tulamben, followed by Gili Air to round the trip off?
The Candidasa local dive sites can be tricky but I guess they would do the qualifying open water dive in Padang Bai from there?

I can’t comment on Amed as we didn’t go there.

Cheers,
Rob

I agree with what others have said, Gili Air is good for a family-friend atmosphere, nice beach, restaurants and easy decent diving. It would be a great place for your kids OW class. Once they’ve qualified Bali would be an fantastic step up for the diving experience.

If you want to end your trip chillin on a beach then have you thought about OW class + topside stuff in Padang Bai or Candidasa, then moving on to Tulamben, followed by Gili Air to round the trip off?
The Candidasa local dive sites can be tricky but I guess they would do the qualifying open water dive in Padang Bai from there?

I can’t comment on Amed as we didn’t go there.

Cheers,
Rob
Nothing wrong with Candidasa or Padang Bai, but the beaches at Gili Air are way nicer and the restaurants are much more varied and frankly better than Padang Bai or Candidasa. In addition, the OW sites at Gill Air are more accessible, friendly, and OW friendly.

Thank you everyone for all the great information.

Now I'm looking to start the trip at Gili. Only downside is that our flight arrives very late, like 2300, so we'll need to sleep on Bali then take a boat to Gili. Will waste bit more time on travel.

FYI, Easy Gili just told me that they currently do not have service from Amed. No date when service will resume.

Looks like FreeBird Express is the only service from Amed. Gili Sea Express has horrible horrible reviews...

Nothing wrong with Candidasa or Padang Bai, but the beaches at Gili Air are way nicer and the restaurants are much more varied and frankly better than Padang Bai or Candidasa. In addition, the OW sites at Gill Air are more accessible, friendly, and OW friendly.

Oh yeah, I know the beaches at Gili Air are much better than the virtually (now) non-existent beach at Candidasa (we didn’t go to Padang Bai), I just meant it could be an option before heading to Gili Air if the OP would prefer to finish off the trip with the chilled beach vibe.
We always try to end a trip at somewhere with the best beach, preferably with the best diving too if possible!

Oh yeah, I know the beaches at Gili Air are much better than the virtually (now) non-existent beach at Candidasa (we didn’t go to Padang Bai), I just meant it could be an option before heading to Gili Air if the OP would prefer to finish off the trip with the chilled beach vibe.
We always try to end a trip at somewhere with the best beach, preferably with the best diving too if possible!
Well, Padang Bai's White Sand Beach/Bias Tugel is still my favorite beach! Blame it on proximity I guess...

Back
Top Bottom