Diving at Beaches Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought Beachs was a good dive operation. It was not the reason we went but I was the only diver in the group. I was able to get two dives in by lunch and meet the people I came with at the swim up bar when I was done. During my stay all dives were made off their boats on site so I can not comment on diving the other side of the island.

My wife and I were considering staying at Beaches T&C one of these days. It sounds like you may or may not get decent bottom time, depending on which dive master you're with. I found this a similar situation when we had dove with Sandals in St. Lucia, and then in Jamaica. Originally we were told 30 minutes bottom time, but depending on the DM, it could be stretched out. Sandals and Beaches definitely need to work on sending up buddies low on air to the boat, and not sending up everyone. I think it's a known problem that some DMs care about, but sometimes can't do much about. I've got a trip scheduled to Sandals in Antigua next year, will be interesting to see how they operate there. I can understand the orientation dive, but not keeping people to only 30 minutes. I hate coming back up with half a tank of air.

Oh, I had also been diving in T&C before and loved it. We went with an outfit that always left from the south side of the island and we went off daily to discover new sites. We pretty much always saw a shark or two at every site, and had great coral and other marine life. That was probably 8 years ago now though.. it sounds like the diving now might not be quite as good?

Was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with new divers, kids especially, at the beaches resort.

I am a frequent diver and want to slowly introduce my son, 12 years old, to scuba and figure this might be a pretty friendly place to do so. Hes been interested since i began and has a genuine interest to learn, swims like a fish, is comfortable snorkeling for long periods, and will have a cautious maturity to do it and do it safely.

I know beaches offers the "discover scuba" which begins in the pool with skills and if all goes smoothly, can go up to 40ft with instructors. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Would love any input and/or comments.

Thanks!

First Post...
I got certified at Beaches, TCI in early April of this year (2011), so this is all from a newb's perspective...
Yes, it was a little slow out of the starting gate each morning, but it only takes once to adjust your morning breakfast/getting-ready schedule accordingly... you get to sleep in half an hour longer then you might expect :) I found the training thorough & non-rushed but not time-wasting either. For my training and dives throughout the week, I had Lee, Linden and (mostly) Kadri. They all seemed quite competent, going over (in the exact SAME detail) instructions just before each dive. Linden also covered a dozen or so hand signals to indicate sea-life naming, which was handy when seeing some sea life for the first time ever...
- GRESCH - there was a 10 yo girl one day and twin 12 yo boys another and they did GREAT! You mention they are comfortable in the water, which is great, but you might head into a pool for an afternoon to practice what I found to be some of the more "uncomfortable" portions... underwater mask clearing, breathing (use a snorkel) underwater for a minute with no mask and no nose-pinching, etc.
All in all, it was a GREAT experience for me and I cannot wait to get more certs :)

~m

Leaving on Friday so will add my 2 cents when I get back. Looking forward to my trip, which is a family get away. Last time there I dove with a local operator and had a great time. Should expect much less since they are much more limited due to demand.

What you experienced is a resort dive. Wife and I go to Couples Tower Isle Ocho Rios Jamaica every year. They also provide diving for cert and non-cert divers. And as you stated at 1000 psi the whole group heads to the surface (unless you are with a cert group which they then use 500). They do split the groups up into non-cert (which they refer to as "baby seals) and cert divers. On occasion there has been only a couple of cert divers so we just hung with the group to help out. I can understand making the whole group surface at 1000 psi. Otherwise you have a couple of DM's watching 10 different air gauges. Going as a group is safer for everyone.
Keep in mind this is not a dive resort nor a dive trip. The diving is an activity provided to everyone of all experinces FREE!!!! We love going to Jamaica every year to relax with friends and enjoy the activities provide. Would I book a dive trip here? No. The waters in Jamaica are warm and crystal clear but the reefs have been pretty much fished out. Not a whole lot to see. But, since diving is provided free I go every opportunity I have. Even if for only 30 minutes bottom time.

We're off to Beaches on Thursday. Bringing our own equipment. Does Beaches have lockers for us to leave our gear in, or do we need to drag it back to the room every day?

Well, now that I am on the island, I can answer my own question. They will let you put your personal stuff in one of the lockers near the training pool. We did so yesterday and today. Unfortunately, someone stole the puck out of my brother's console during the 6 hours between the morning and evening dives today, so we have learned that this is not a good option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom