Diving at Beaches Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba OCD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Spent a week at Beaches Resort with extended family. My wife and I took the opportunity to participate in the included scuba diving. Past diving experience has mostly been with smaller operations, with very interactive crews. Most of those trips included relatively early departures and thus early returns.

Beaches was a different experience. First, you have to attend an orientation at 3pm or sometime in the morning(8:30???). We attended the day we arrived. We are certified as rescue divers and the orientation group was very large. I suspect those two factors contributed to their decision to let us bypass the in-pool evaluation.

The boats are large and full. Everything takes a long time. As the waters of of Grace Bay were quite rough, they taxied us to the south side and launched from there. That probably added 45 minutes to the front side of the trip and another 30 to the return side. While I appreciate adapting things to local conditions, their process is already a long one that starts kinda late. Check in is at 8:15 and with the taxi ride(including a substantial wait for the taxi), boats didn't depart until 9:30 or so. I hope they can find some ways to shave time off of that process. Our returns to the resort were around 3-3:30pm.

We dove two days on the west side of Provo. The first day we had my wife and I, and another very experienced gentleman with one DM. So a ratio of 3:1 was very good. The second day we were with a group of 10 divers to the one DM. Dive briefings were adequate, though not the best and once underwater we were pretty much left to find things on our own. All our dives were around 30 minutes and once one person was low on air, we all went up. On one dive, my wife returned to the boat with 1700psi left in her tank.

The resort itself was quite nice. Being there with extended family was wonderful and we really enjoyed most aspects of our stay. For another family trip we would readily stay at this resort. However, should we return to Turks and Caicos to dive, and we probably will, we will stay and dive elsewhere.

To be completely fair, I must acknowledge practical limitations on this dive operation. They are providing diving as a part of an all inclusive resort. Demand will certainly be high and providing upwards of 6-10 boats to have that small group experience is just not practical. I am certain that high demand also explains the large diver to DM ratio and probably explains why there is a need to surface as a group. I am confident that when they are launching from the dock on site, things can move quicker.

I know this is my first post on these forums. I tend to be a lurker, however, I have learned a lot from SB and felt a responsibility to give a little bit back. I hope someone finds this information helpful.

We are also planning a dive trip to Beaches T&C in September and this may seem like a small detail but do you recall whether their dive boats were equipped with some sort of camera tub that is separate from the mask bucket?

Thanks.

They actually had a mask and a separate camera bucket on the first boat. However, on the second boat I think they only had a mask bucket. We did have a camera on our dives.

So what was the diving like?

So what was the diving like?

I dove Beaches T&C a couple years ago and was really unimpressed. I love all diving (even my local ponds) so I enjoyed it but it was IMO nothing special. If you are there, you have to dive :wink:. I know others feel the opposite about the diving there......maybe my week was just an off week :idk:. I would never book a dive vacation there but would never hesitate to dive there if I ever ended up on the island.

I thought the diving was great. However, not having logged that many dives, I have tended to trust the DM to know how to find things I might normally miss. Thankfully I had other divers help me find some interesting stuff. Including a huge lobster, free swimming shark, turtles and the assortment of colorful fish. I did find a flamingos tongue on my own. It was certainly enough of a taste to make me want to return for a trip focused on diving.

I thought the diving was great. However, not having logged that many dives, I have tended to trust the DM to know how to find things I might normally miss. Thankfully I had other divers help me find some interesting stuff. Including a huge lobster, free swimming shark, turtles and the assortment of colorful fish. I did find a flamingos tongue on my own. It was certainly enough of a taste to make me want to return for a trip focused on diving.

I offer this not to say anything negative about T&C's, but have you considered Bonaire or Coz? I personally prefer Bonaire because it is so simple and you dive as much as you want (obviously as much as the tables will allow). The reefs were much healthier and the fish way more abundant (than I remember anyways - and OMAR did hurt the Boanire reefs somewhat as I understand). It is much less expensive than Beaches but is only a dive destination....not a family place. Nose Breathers are likely to get bored (at least I would if I did not dive). I think either of those locations will hook you harder and faster than T&C.

Just a thought for you to ponder. Back to your thread and sorry for the hijack.

I have actually dove Cozumel. We got 11 dives in there in 5 days. So far it has been our favorite dive trip yet. However, we also like to go to different places and likely will not go back there until we've experienced other places. This trip was just enough of a taste to say we need to take a real trip focused on diving. I've heard great things about Bonaire. However, past research has indicated that getting there from Oklahoma, would necessitate an overnight stay in Houston or other hub and we just try to avoid that. in fact we had to stay the night in Atlanta for this trip both directions, and all that did was confirm that.

I have actually dove Cozumel. We got 11 dives in there in 5 days. So far it has been our favorite dive trip yet. However, we also like to go to different places and likely will not go back there until we've experienced other places. This trip was just enough of a taste to say we need to take a real trip focused on diving. I've heard great things about Bonaire. However, past research has indicated that getting there from Oklahoma, would necessitate an overnight stay in Houston or other hub and we just try to avoid that. in fact we had to stay the night in Atlanta for this trip both directions, and all that did was confirm that.

That sucks about the forced overnight going to Bonaire......my trip there is not that difficult but not direct either. Bonaire is a place that I would gladly spend a week a year (every year) there and travel to different places for the rest of my vacation......but I do not have enough vacation time and I want to experience more on the other side of the word and that requires longer stays to make it truly worthwhile. I definitely agree about wanting to travel other places before doubling up.....

Sounds like our family was there around the time you were. We're just back from Beaches T&C as well.

Hubby & I dove on March 14 & 15 - all off the south side, via taxi as the north side operations were closed. This was our first salt water diving after getting certified in Ontario in August and doing a lot of cold water Great Lakes diving into the fall.

We found the process pretty simple and painless, provided you were near the front of any line at the dive shop. Beaches is adamant that you only dive to your cert. If you have OW, you won't be going deeper than 60feet. They are also firm on requiring your cert card (if picture is really old, this is questioned) and require a pool check out if you have not dove in 6 months. We had dove recently, so we just did the dryland briefing, which was pretty simple and then we signed up for the weeks' dives.

Normally they offer a 2 tank at 8:15 a.m. and 1 tank at 9:30 p.m. However, as all dive ops were moved, only the 2 tank was offered.

Our first day of diving was guided by Mitch, one of their instructors filling in for someone who didn't show up for work. Mitch guided 8 of us safely through the eel garden & ampitheatre. Mitch was constantly checking pressures & when someone was at 1000, guided them and their buddy near the boat & sent them up.

The boats all have a reg & bar at 15feet to make safety stops easier for people. There are camera & mask rinse tanks/coolers on board.

Second day we dove with Linden. Linden didn't seem concerned with bringing a LOT of people in his group of 8 up with only 100psi or left. All other DMs were bringing people up with 750 - 1600 psi, but not our group.

I didn't feel comfortable with Linden. My hubby is an air hawg & I was worried about being down there with hubby at 500psi & Linden indicating he would buddy breathe with hubby if need be - that didn't see right & as a result we didn't dive the second dive with Linden that day - felt smarter.

Overall, I was surprised by how unimpressed I was by what we saw while diving T&C. I had heard it is an amazing place to dive, but I have seen more interesting things snorkelling in Kona, Hawaii. Maybe it was the conditions? Maybe I'm just to new to know what I"m seeing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom